How Much Mass Does the Sun Lose Each Day?

Therefore, the given information about the Helium reaction is not necessary.In summary, the sun loses approximately 3.84 * 10^14 kg of mass every day due to the energy it radiates at a rate of 4 x 10^26 W. This can be calculated using the equation E=mc^2. The given information about the Helium reaction is not necessary for this calculation.
verbose

Homework Statement

The sun radiates energy at the rate of approximately 4 x 10^26 W. Assume that this energy is produced by a reaction whose net result is the fusion of 4 H nuclei to form 1 He nucleus, with the release of 25 MeV for each He nucleus formed.

Calculate the sun's loss of mass per day

Homework Equations

E = mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think all the information about the Helium reaction is a red herring, but I'm
not sure. It's throwing me off. The problem says that the sun radiate energy
at the rate of 4x10^26 W, but it doesn't say in what time frame.
What I did at first, was assumed that that rate is per second and I did as follows;

1 day = 24 hours = 24*60 minutes = 24*60*60 seconds = 86400 s

Energy output in a day = 4x10^26 W/s * 86400s = 3.456 * 10^31 J

then I used E = mc^2 -> m = E/c^2 = 3.456 * 10^31 J/(2.0 * 10^8 m/s)^2
= 3.84 * 10^14 kg to be the amount of mass the sun loses every day.

Is this right, or do I have to use the given information about the Helium reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you are correct, its only asking for a mass equivalent of x amt of energy.

I would say that your initial approach is correct. The given information about the Helium reaction is not necessary in this calculation, as it is already accounted for in the rate of energy output from the sun. However, it is always good practice to double check and make sure that all relevant information has been considered in solving a problem. In this case, it seems that your calculation is accurate and you have correctly determined the sun's loss of mass per day. Well done!

Related to How Much Mass Does the Sun Lose Each Day?

1. What is the relationship between energy and mass?

The relationship between energy and mass is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This equation states that energy (E) and mass (m) are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that mass can be converted into energy, and vice versa.

2. How does mass affect energy?

Mass directly affects the amount of energy an object has. The more mass an object has, the more energy it possesses. This is because mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and matter contains energy.

3. How is energy produced from mass?

Energy can be produced from mass through nuclear reactions. When atoms split or fuse together, mass is converted into energy in the form of heat and light. This process is called nuclear fission and fusion, and it is the source of energy for nuclear power plants and the sun, respectively.

4. Can energy be destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that while energy can be converted into different forms, it can never be completely destroyed.

5. How is energy related to the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's equation, shows that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing. This means that an object's mass is a measure of its energy content, and the amount of energy an object has is equivalent to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.