How much mechanical work was done by 2 men lifting a boat 24 times?

In summary: The formula for work is force times distance, so you need to calculate the force by multiplying the mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Then, multiply that by the distance (4 in = 0.102 m) and then by the number of times the boat is lifted (24). The answer is in joules, which is the unit for work.
maxdaddy

Homework Statement

2 men lift a total mass of 653.2 kg 4in off the ground a total of 24 times. Estimate the total mechanical work done by the 2 men in lifting the boat 24 times, assuming they applied the same force to the boat during each lift. (Neglect any work they may have done allowing the boat to drop back to the ground.)

Homework Equations

w=f*d

The Attempt at a Solution

w=f*d
First convert kg to Newtons 653.2*9.8=6401N and inches to meters 4in=.102m
I tried the f*d and came up with 653 and then multiplied that by 24 and got 15672. The answer in the back of the textbook gives 2x10^4 J and I cannot figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you are expected to give the answer with only one significant digit. The height (4 in) has only one digit so the answer should have one SD too.

nasu said:
I suppose you are expected to give the answer with only one significant digit. The height (4 in) has only one digit so the answer should have one SD too.

No if you read my post the answer the textbook gives is 2*10^4J and I cannot figure out how to get the answer

maxdaddy said:
No if you read my post the answer the textbook gives is 2*10^4J and I cannot figure out how to get the answer

Your answer it is 2x10^4 if you round it to one significant digit.

FAQ: How much mechanical work was done by 2 men lifting a boat 24 times?

What is mechanical work?

Mechanical work is the measure of the amount of force applied to an object over a distance in the direction of the force. It is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm).

How is mechanical work calculated?

Mechanical work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for mechanical work is W = Fd, where W is the work in joules, F is the force in newtons, and d is the distance in meters.

What are some common examples of mechanical work?

Some common examples of mechanical work include lifting a book off a table, pushing a box across the floor, and pulling a wagon up a hill. Essentially, any time a force is applied to an object and it moves in the direction of the force, mechanical work is being done.

What is the unit for mechanical work?

The unit for mechanical work is joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm). These units represent the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force acting on it over a distance.

How does mechanical work relate to energy?

Mechanical work is a form of energy transfer. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object. This energy can then be used to do other types of work or to perform other tasks. Additionally, work can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electricity.