How Much Na2S2O3 Is Needed for Titration in This Redox Reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the reaction between bleaching powder and iodide in acidic medium. The question is how many millilitres of 0.0645 M Na2S2O3 are needed to titrate the iodine liberated from a sample of bleaching powder containing 10.50% (w/w) Cl. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and confusion over whether the percentage of Cl should be taken into account. Ultimately, the suggested solution involves dividing the mass of Cl by the molecular weight of Ca(OCl)Cl to determine the number of moles of Cl- involved in the reaction.
Maharg

Homework Statement

Bleaching powder, Ca(OCl)Cl, reacts with iodide in acidic medium according to the equation:

OCl– + 2 I– + 2 H3O– ---> I2 + Cl– + 3 H2O

How many millilitres of 0.0645 M Na2S2O3 are required to titrate the iodine liberated from a 0.6028 g sample of bleaching powder containing 10.50 % (w/w) Cl ?

Homework Equations

I2 + 2S203 --> 2I- + S4O6

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already submitted an answer for this assignment, and this was one of only 2 questions I got wrong, we can do a second submission so I went to figure this one out.

I think this is where I went wrong.

I Figured out the Cl- moles by: g Cl/0.6028 g = 0.01050

0.063294 g Cl / 35.453 g/mol = 1.78529 mmol

I think I may have done that wrong, but from that.
From mol Cl- I used 1:1 ratio of original reaction to get mol I2

Mol I2 in second reaction are 1/2 mol S203

mol S2O3 = 3.57058641 mmol

Then calculated mL needed.

V = 3.57058641 mmol/0.0645 M
= 55.4 mL

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
None :wink:

I got 55.3 mL, close enough.

Hm.. that's odd then. The computer usually gives part marks when we're close.

Hm, could be we are both wrong. It is 10.5% of Ca(OCl)Cl. Part of the chlorine is not taking part in the iodine oxidation. I have concentrated on your solution, instead of reading the question

Would I just divide it by 2? So only 1/2(1.785 mmol Cl) take place in the reaction?

Ah, possibly I'm going about it the wrong way, can I instead just avoid the w/w of Cl?

0.6028 g / MW Cl-/ MW Ca(OCl)Cl = mol Cl-

Does anyone know, I'm really lost in the solution.

Related to How Much Na2S2O3 Is Needed for Titration in This Redox Reaction?

1. What is redox titration?

Redox titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance (typically an oxidizing or reducing agent) in a solution by measuring the amount of a reactant that is consumed or produced in a redox reaction.

2. What is iodine titration?

Iodine titration is a specific type of redox titration that involves the use of iodine as the oxidizing agent. It is commonly used for determining the concentration of reducing agents, such as vitamin C, in a solution.

3. How does redox titration with iodine work?

In redox titration with iodine, a known volume of the solution containing the analyte (the substance being tested) is added to a flask along with an excess of iodine and an indicator. The iodine reacts with the analyte, and the endpoint is determined by the color change of the indicator.

4. What is the purpose of using an indicator in redox titration with iodine?

An indicator is used in redox titration with iodine to signal when the reaction between the analyte and iodine is complete. It changes color at the endpoint, which allows for the determination of the amount of analyte present in the solution.

5. What are some common applications of redox titration with iodine?

Redox titration with iodine is commonly used in the food and pharmaceutical industries to determine the concentration of certain nutrients or active ingredients. It is also used in environmental and water testing to measure the levels of pollutants or contaminants. In addition, it is used in educational settings to teach students about redox reactions and titration techniques.