How much of solution to reach the endpoint of titration?

• Thread starter ammora313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, to prepare a standardization solution with triiodide, you weigh out 0.0750 grams of standard ascorbic acid and dissolve it in 50 mL of water. You then add ten drops of starch indicator. You need 0.015M triiodide solution to reach the endpoint of the titration.
ammora313

Homework Statement

You prepare your standardization solution by weighing out 0.0750 grams of standard ascorbic acid (176.12 g/mol) and dissolving it in 50.00 mL of water. You then add ten drops of starch indicator. How many milliliters of 0.015M triiodide solution will you need to reach the endpoint of the titration?

Homework Equations

M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

[(0.0750 g X 176.12 g/mol) / (50 mL water) V1]= [(0.015 M) (V2)]

How do I solve this, seeing as I have 2 unknowns (V1 and V2)? Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is in applying blindly M1V1=M2V2 equation. It is not needed here, have you read the page on the titration calculation I linked to in another thread?

The formula for the reaction that takes place is:
C6H8O6 + I3- +H2O [itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex] C6H6O6 +3I- +2H3O+

So relevant equations are C=n/V or n=CV

0.0750 g x 1mol/176.12 g/mol = 4.25846x10-4 mol ascorbic acid

4.25846x10-4 mol ascorbic acid/ 0.050 L water = 8.51692x10-3 M abscorbic acid.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

You don't need concentration of the ascorbic acid. You have to calculate how many moles of triiodide will react with the ascorbic acid. Usually you will use n=CV to calculate number of moles of ascorbic acid, but you are given mass, so it is enough to convert it to number of moles (which you already did).

Next step is a simple stoichiometry - how many moles of triiodide will react with the 4.258x10-4 moles of ascorbic acid?

After that - what volume of triiodide solution contain this amount of triiodide?

Ok I figured it out, thanks for being patient with me.
So since the stoichiometry is one to one, it takes 4.258 x 10-4 mol of triiodide to react with the same number of moles of ascorbic acid. then using v=n/c, it takes 28.3 mL of triiodide.
:approve:

I got 28.4 mL, but it is close enough to show you are on the right track.

FAQ: How much of solution to reach the endpoint of titration?

1. How do you determine the amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration?

The amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration can be determined by conducting a titration experiment. This involves slowly adding the titrant (solution with known concentration) to the analyte (solution with unknown concentration) until the endpoint is reached. The volume of titrant used at the endpoint can then be used to calculate the amount of solution needed.

2. What is the purpose of titration in chemistry?

The purpose of titration in chemistry is to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration. This allows for precise and accurate measurements of the concentration of a substance in a solution.

3. How do you know when the endpoint of titration is reached?

The endpoint of titration is reached when the indicator (a substance that changes color to indicate the completion of a reaction) changes color. This indicates that the reaction between the titrant and analyte has reached its completion and no more titrant is needed to neutralize the analyte.

4. What factors can affect the amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration?

The amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration can be affected by factors such as the concentration of the titrant and analyte, the type of indicator used, and the accuracy of the equipment used to measure the volume of solution.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of determining the amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration?

To improve the accuracy of determining the amount of solution needed to reach the endpoint of titration, it is important to use precise and calibrated equipment, conduct multiple trials, and choose an appropriate indicator for the reaction being performed. It is also important to record data carefully and perform calculations accurately.

Back