How Much Pb(NO3)2 Is Needed to Precipitate PbBr2 from HBr Solution?

• Thread starter tua28494
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the question is asking for the amount of Pb(NO3)2 needed to precipitate PbBr2 in a solution of 0.10 M HBr and a given Ksp value of 2.1*10^-6. To find the concentration of Pb, the concentration of Br- can be determined using the known molarity of HBr. Multiplying this concentration by the correct volume (750.0 mL) will give the concentration of Pb. This can then be converted to moles and multiplied by the molecular weight of Pb(NO3)2 to find the grams needed for precipitation.
tua28494

Homework Statement

How many grams of Pb(NO3)2 must be added to 750.0 mL of 0.10 M HBr in order for PbBr2 to precipitate?

Ksp = 2.1*10^-6

Homework Equations

Ksp = [Pb][Br]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For PbBr2 to precipitate, [Pb][Br]^2 must be greater than Ksp

0.750 L * 0.10 M HBr = 0.075 moles HBr
0.075 moles HBr/ 1 L = [0.075 HBr] Is this step correct?

Ksp/([HBr]^2) = [Pb] = (2.1*10^-6)/(0.075^2)= 3.73*10^-4 M Pb
so 3.73*10^-4 M Pb * 1 L = 3.73*10^-4 moles Pb

I'm not sure where to go from here, (3.73*10^-4 moles Pb)*(molecular weight of Pb(NO3)2)?

(3.73*10^-4 moles)(331.2098 g/mol) = 0.124 g of Pb(NO3)2.

How did I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems OK to me. I just don't know what was the conversion for moles of HBr for. You know molarity of the HBr solution, that means you also know molarity of Br- - simply use this value in Ksp.

--

Borek said:
Seems OK to me. I just don't know what was the conversion for moles of HBr for. You know molarity of the HBr solution, that means you also know molarity of Br- - simply use this value in Ksp.

--
buffer calculator, concentration calculator
pH calculator, stoichiometry calculator

without converting HBr to moles, I get the concentration of Pb.

I need how many grams of Pb(NO3)2 so what Volume would I multiply the concentration of Pb to, so I end up with moles of Pb? Would it be multiplied by 0.750 L the same volume as the HBr?

I need the moles of Pb to multiply with the molecular mass of Pb(NO3)2 to get grams.

You have lost me.

Knowing CONCENTRATION of HBr you can calculate CONCENTRATION of Pb2+. Numbe of moles of HBr/Br- is irrelevant. Knowing concentration and volume (which was given in the question - 750 mL) you can calculate number of moles.

I just realized you did it wrong - you correctly calculated concentration of the lead, but you multiplied it by 1L, not by the real volume of the solution.

--
methods

Your solution is correct. To find the mass of Pb(NO3)2, you multiplied the number of moles of Pb by its molar mass, which is the correct approach. Another way to approach this problem would be to use the molar ratio between Pb(NO3)2 and PbBr2, which is 1:1. This means that for every 1 mole of Pb(NO3)2, 1 mole of PbBr2 will form. Therefore, the number of moles of Pb(NO3)2 needed to form 3.73*10^-4 moles of PbBr2 is also 3.73*10^-4 moles. This can also be converted to grams using the molar mass of Pb(NO3)2. Both approaches will give you the same answer. Overall, you did a great job in solving this problem!

Related to How Much Pb(NO3)2 Is Needed to Precipitate PbBr2 from HBr Solution?

What is a PbBr2 precipitate?

A PbBr2 precipitate is a solid compound formed when lead ions (Pb2+) and bromide ions (Br-) react in a solution to produce insoluble lead bromide (PbBr2).

How is a PbBr2 precipitate formed?

A PbBr2 precipitate is formed through a chemical reaction between lead ions (Pb2+) and bromide ions (Br-) in a solution. When these ions come into contact, they combine to form solid lead bromide (PbBr2) which appears as a precipitate.

What does a PbBr2 precipitate look like?

A PbBr2 precipitate appears as a yellowish-white solid with a powdery or flaky texture. It may also appear as small particles or crystals suspended in a solution.

Can a PbBr2 precipitate be separated back into its original components?

Yes, it is possible to separate a PbBr2 precipitate back into lead ions (Pb2+) and bromide ions (Br-) by using certain chemical techniques such as filtration or precipitation reactions.

What are some common uses of PbBr2 precipitate?

PbBr2 precipitate is commonly used in the production of lead-based pigments for paints and dyes. It is also used in the production of lead acid batteries and as a catalyst in organic synthesis reactions.