How Much Power Is Lost Due to Resistive Heating in a High-Voltage Line?

In summary, resistive heating power loss is the conversion of electrical energy into heat when current passes through a resistive material. It occurs when electrons collide with the atoms in the material, and is affected by factors such as resistance, current, and duration of flow. The power loss can be calculated using P=I^2R, and can be minimized by using materials with lower resistance, reducing current flow, and limiting duration of flow.
plexxity

Homework Statement

A 750-MW power plant sends its power out on a 475,000 V high-voltage line. If the total resistance of the line is 0.65 Ω, what percentage of the power is lost due to resistive heating?

Homework Equations

i have NO idea but maybe...

P(loss)=I²R

P(loss)=^v²/R

P=V(V/R)

P=VI

V=IR

P=E/t

The Attempt at a Solution

Guess i don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Use [tex]P=VI[/tex] to find [tex]I[/tex].

thanks i found I then i was able to get the Ploss=I^2(R)

got the answer Thanks!

FAQ: How Much Power Is Lost Due to Resistive Heating in a High-Voltage Line?

1. What is resistive heating power loss?

Resistive heating power loss is the energy that is converted into heat when an electrical current passes through a resistive material, such as a wire or resistor.

2. How does resistive heating power loss occur?

Resistive heating power loss occurs when electrons collide with the atoms in the resistive material, transferring their energy and causing the material to heat up.

3. What factors affect resistive heating power loss?

The factors that affect resistive heating power loss include the resistance of the material, the amount of current passing through it, and the duration of the current flow.

4. How is resistive heating power loss calculated?

Resistive heating power loss can be calculated using the formula P=I^2R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance.

5. How can resistive heating power loss be minimized?

Resistive heating power loss can be minimized by using materials with lower resistance, reducing the amount of current flowing through the material, and limiting the duration of the current flow.