How much programming is typical in electrical engineering?

In summary, when deciding between mechanical and electrical engineering, it's important to consider the amount of programming required for each major. While the amount may vary from school to school, electrical engineering typically does require more programming than mechanical engineering. However, it's not recommended to choose a major based solely on avoiding programming, as it is a valuable skill to have in the engineering field. Many coursework and projects in both majors may require some level of programming, and having strong programming skills can make engineers more employable.
Dunedain979
Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to start my first year of college and I'm trying to decide between mechanical and electrical engineering. At first I was more interested in electrical, but then I heard that electrical engineers do a lot of programming which I'm not really big on. How much programming do they typically do? Any insight would be grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go to your university's website and compare the two curriculums. The amount of programming required by electrical engineering departments varies from school to school. However, EE usually does require more than ME.

I don't think it's a good idea to choose a major that you are less interested in just to avoid programming. Programming is a good skill to start developing while you're in school.

Likes Dr. Courtney
First off much of your coursework will require some computations and so you will be introduced to MATLAB which can be used interactively to do calculations or programmatically to automate repeated calculations.

Another area would be mechatronics where you might need to program a controller hooked to sensors and actuators for some cool project.

It would be best to be familar with programming otherwise you will only limit yourself in your career later on.

Most engineers are more employable if they have solid programming skills. MEs who can program are much more valuable than MEs who cannot. Most EEs have good programming skills, as these skills tend to be more required in the degree process.

FAQ: How much programming is typical in electrical engineering?

1. How much programming knowledge is required for an electrical engineering degree?

Most electrical engineering programs require students to have a basic understanding of programming. This typically includes knowledge of languages such as C, C++, and MATLAB. However, the extent of programming courses and knowledge required may vary depending on the specific program and university.

2. What types of programming languages are typically used in electrical engineering?

The most commonly used programming languages in electrical engineering include C, C++, and MATLAB. Other languages that may be used depending on the specific application or project include Python, Java, and VHDL.

3. How much time do electrical engineers spend programming?

The amount of time spent programming will vary depending on the specific project or job. However, programming is a crucial aspect of electrical engineering and engineers may spend a significant amount of time coding, debugging, and troubleshooting their programs.

4. Is programming necessary for a career in electrical engineering?

Yes, programming is an essential skill for a career in electrical engineering. Many industries within electrical engineering, such as robotics, automation, and signal processing, heavily rely on programming. Additionally, having programming skills can make an engineer more versatile and valuable in the job market.

5. Can I learn programming if I have no prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to learn programming even if you have no prior experience. Many electrical engineering programs offer introductory programming courses for students with no prior knowledge. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning programming languages. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn to program.