How Much Sodium Borohydride Solution Is Needed for Compound B Reduction?

• Thread starter lostinphysics44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the student used Compound B for a reduction experiment with sodium borohydride. The compound has a 7-member carbon ring with C=O bonds in specific positions. The student used 1.1015g of Compound B and prepared a solution of sodium borohydride by dissolving 1.0085g in 17.00mL of solvent. The volume of sodium borohydride solution required to reduce Compound B cannot be calculated without understanding the overall reaction and the mechanism of borohydride reductions. Further research is needed.
lostinphysics44
please help fast! NaBH4 reduction...

Homework Statement

Compound B [structure shown below] was reduced with sodium
borohydride. The student used 1.1015g of Compound B. She prepared the
sodium borohydride solution by dissolving 1.0085g of sodium borohydride in
sufficient solvent to prepare 17.00mL of solution. Calculate the volume of the
sodium borohydride solution required to reduce Compound B.

Homework Equations

compound B is a 7 member carbon ring, with C=O bonds in the 1,3,6 positions ont he ring. what i don't get is what the overall reaction is, so i can get the equation and do the stoichiometry. i know that NaBH4 will add a H to each oxygen but i really don't get where to go from there. thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
lostinphysics44 said:
...what i don't get is what the overall reaction is, so i can get the equation and do the stoichiometry. i know that NaBH4 will add a H to each oxygen but i really don't get where to go from there. thanks for your help.

Then that's where you need to start your investigation. You need to research the mechanism of borohydride reductions (BTW, it doesn't add H to oxygen) and go from there.

Hello, it seems like you are working on a lab or research project involving the reduction of Compound B using sodium borohydride. I can understand that you are in a hurry to get your results, but it's important to take your time and make sure you understand the overall reaction and the process before proceeding.

The overall reaction for the reduction of Compound B with sodium borohydride is a nucleophilic addition reaction. The sodium borohydride (NaBH4) acts as a reducing agent, providing hydride ions (H-) to the carbonyl groups (C=O) in Compound B. This results in the formation of alcohols (R-OH) in place of the carbonyl groups.

To determine the volume of sodium borohydride solution required for the reduction, you will need to use the stoichiometry of the reaction. From the given information, we can calculate the moles of Compound B and the moles of sodium borohydride used. The ratio of these two moles will give us the stoichiometric ratio, which can then be used to calculate the volume of sodium borohydride solution required.

I would recommend reviewing the concepts of stoichiometry and nucleophilic addition reactions before proceeding with your calculations. Also, make sure to double check your units and conversions to ensure accurate results.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: How Much Sodium Borohydride Solution Is Needed for Compound B Reduction?

1. What is NaBH4 reduction and what is it used for?

NaBH4 reduction is a chemical reaction that uses sodium borohydride (NaBH4) as a reducing agent to convert carbonyl compounds into alcohols. It is commonly used in organic chemistry to synthesize alcohols, as well as in industrial processes such as the production of pharmaceuticals and plastics.

2. How does NaBH4 reduction work?

NaBH4 reduction works by providing a source of hydride ions (H-) which act as reducing agents. These hydride ions are able to donate electrons to the carbonyl group of a molecule, resulting in the formation of an alcohol and a borate ion. The borate ion then reacts with water to produce borohydride, which can be recycled back into the reaction.

3. What are the key factors that affect the success of a NaBH4 reduction reaction?

The success of a NaBH4 reduction reaction depends on several factors, including the concentration of NaBH4, the solvent used, the temperature and pH of the reaction, and the presence of impurities or catalysts. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to achieve optimal results.

4. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when performing a NaBH4 reduction?

NaBH4 is a flammable and potentially hazardous substance, so it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling it. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and avoiding contact with skin or eyes. It is also important to carefully dispose of any unused NaBH4 and properly clean up any spills.

5. Are there any alternative methods to NaBH4 reduction?

Yes, there are several alternative methods to NaBH4 reduction, including using other reducing agents such as lithium aluminum hydride (LiAlH4) or catalytic reduction using metal catalysts. These methods may offer certain advantages, such as faster reaction times or greater selectivity, but they also have their own limitations and safety considerations.

Back