How Much Speed Can You Generate Using Mechanical Energy?

In summary, the problem is asking for the speed a 133-lbs person can be accelerated to using the energy of one "food calorie". After converting the units, the correct formula to use is K=1/2mv^2. The mistake made was using 1cal instead of 1000cal, which resulted in an incorrect answer of 0.372m/s. The correct answer, after converting 1000cal to Joules, is approximately 372m/s.
jimmyboykun

Homework Statement

Converting the energy of one food calorie into mechanical energy, starting from rest, to what speed could you accelerate a 133-lbs person?

Homework Equations

1 calorie= 4.184J
1 lbs= 0.453592kg
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

here what I did, I converted the lbs to kg which was 60.33kg. I was under the impression to use kinetic energy.
4.184J=1/2(60.33kg)v^2
4.184J/30.165kg=v^2
sqrt 4.184J/30.165kg= 0.372m/s

This is how I solved my problem, but I got 1 out of 10. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, 1cal = 4.184J, but 1 "food calorie" = 1k.cal
I don't see you dropping 9 points just for a botched conversion.

The model you used assumes that all the food energy goes to translation of the center of mass.
There are other mechanical things - motion of arms and legs for eg, that the energy could go to.
Were you supposed to account for the food energy lost to non-mechanical sources?

Check your notes for the mechanical energy of a human being JIC you were expected to do something different.
i.e. Should you have used only a percentage of the food energy to speed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy#Energy_usage_in_the_human_body

Do you have a model answer?

jimmyboykun said:

Homework Statement

Converting the energy of one food calorie into mechanical energy, starting from rest, to what speed could you accelerate a 133-lbs person?

Homework Equations

1 calorie= 4.184J
1 lbs= 0.453592kg
K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

here what I did, I converted the lbs to kg which was 60.33kg. I was under the impression to use kinetic energy.
4.184J=1/2(60.33kg)v^2
4.184J/30.165kg=v^2
sqrt 4.184J/30.165kg= 0.372m/s

This is how I solved my problem, but I got 1 out of 10. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

You didn't do much wrong at all. Except that a "food calorie" is actually 1000 of the calories that you are using.

ok it seems that I made a mistake in my conversion with the calories. So with that 1000 calories do I convert that into joules? if so how would I do it?

jimmyboykun said:
ok it seems that I made a mistake in my conversion with the calories. So with that 1000 calories do I convert that into joules? if so how would I do it?

Multiply 4.184J by 1000 to get the number of Joules in a "food calorie". What else?

FAQ: How Much Speed Can You Generate Using Mechanical Energy?

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be either potential energy (stored energy) or kinetic energy (energy of motion).

2. How is mechanical energy used in everyday life?

Mechanical energy is used in various ways in our daily lives, such as in transportation (cars, trains, bikes), household appliances (blenders, washing machines), and sports equipment (bats, balls).

3. What are some examples of converting mechanical energy into other forms of energy?

Mechanical energy can be converted into electrical energy through generators, into thermal energy through friction, and into sound energy through vibrations.

4. How is mechanical energy calculated?

The formula for calculating mechanical energy is: ME = PE + KE, where ME is mechanical energy, PE is potential energy, and KE is kinetic energy. Potential energy is calculated as mgh, where m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is height. Kinetic energy is calculated as 1/2mv^2, where m is mass and v is velocity.

5. What are some ways to increase mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy can be increased by increasing the mass or velocity of an object. For example, a heavier object will have more potential energy, and a faster-moving object will have more kinetic energy.