How much time does it take to lift the piano?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a piano being lifted at a steady speed by a crane with a known power output. The person is seeking help in finding the time it takes to lift the piano and discusses equations for power, work, force, and energy conservation. The conversation also touches on the concept of steady speed and the application of Newton's First Law. Finally, it is suggested that the force exerted to lift the piano is equal to its weight.
BlackMamba
Hello,

I thought I knew how to solve for this problem but alas I was wrong. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Here's the problem: A 1.40x10^2 kg piano is being lifted at a steady speed from ground level straight up to an apartment 18.0m above the ground. The crane that is doing the lifting produces a steady power of 4.00x10^2 W. How much time does it take to lift the piano?

So here's what I did:

The equation for power is P = W/t.

The equation for W (work done) is W = (Fcos0)s.

I have P (at least this is my thinking here). P is 4.00x10^2 and I would need to find W and then I could solve for t.

F = ma, however I don't know what my acceleration is. I calculated it with 9.80 but my answer was incorrect. So if all my original thinking in finding t is correct then all I really need help with is finding F.

Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stunner, that does not equal work.

Conservation of Mechanical Energy
[tex] \Delta K + \Delta \Omega = 0 [/tex]

By the way, if the speed is steady(i suppose it means constant) what will be the change of kinetic energy?

You could apply (Conservative System Work)

[tex] W = -\Delta \Omega [/tex]

Alternatively,

Newton's 1st Law

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = 0 \rightarrow \vec{v} = constant [/tex]

You could use this to establish the force exerted to lift it is equal to the weight of the piano, in magnitude.

Hi there,

To solve this problem, it would be helpful to use the equation P = Fv, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity. In this case, we know that P = 4.00x10^2 W and v = 18.0 m/s (since the piano is being lifted at a steady speed of 18.0m above the ground). Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for F: F = P/v. Plugging in the values, we get F = (4.00x10^2 W)/(18.0 m/s) = 22.22 N.

Now, we can use the equation F = ma to solve for the acceleration. We know that m = 1.40x10^2 kg, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for a: a = F/m. Plugging in the values, we get a = (22.22 N)/(1.40x10^2 kg) = 0.159 m/s^2.

Finally, we can use the equation v = at to solve for the time (t) it takes to lift the piano. We know that v = 18.0 m/s and a = 0.159 m/s^2, so we can rearrange the equation to solve for t: t = v/a. Plugging in the values, we get t = (18.0 m/s)/(0.159 m/s^2) = 113.21 seconds.

Therefore, it would take approximately 113.21 seconds (or 1 minute and 53 seconds) to lift the piano. I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: How much time does it take to lift the piano?

1. How much time does it take to lift the piano?

The time it takes to lift a piano depends on several factors, such as the weight of the piano, the strength and number of people lifting it, and the type of equipment used. Generally, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to safely lift a piano.

2. Is it possible to lift a piano by myself?

It is not recommended to lift a piano by yourself as it can be dangerous and result in injury. Pianos can weigh several hundred pounds and require multiple people or specialized equipment to lift safely.

3. Does the location of the piano affect how long it takes to lift?

Yes, the location of the piano can impact the time it takes to lift it. If the piano is on the ground floor or easily accessible, it may take less time than if it is located on an upper floor or in a tight space.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when lifting a piano?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when lifting a piano. It is important to wear proper lifting gear, use proper lifting techniques, and have a clear path to move the piano. It is also recommended to have multiple people assisting with the lift.

5. How can I make the process of lifting a piano more efficient?

To make the process of lifting a piano more efficient, it is important to have a plan in place and communicate with all those involved. Using proper lifting techniques, having the right equipment, and having enough people to assist can also help make the process smoother and faster.

Back