How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

In summary, a stone is launched from a slingshot with an initial speed of 20.2 m/s and a height of 1.40 m above the ground. Using the equation (vf2-vi2)/2ay=Y, we can calculate that the stone reaches a maximum height of 7.21 m. From there, using the equation Y=1/2gt2, we can find that it takes 0.85 seconds to reach the maximum height and 1.85 seconds to fall back to the ground. Therefore, the total time for the stone to rise and fall is 2.70 seconds.
D4b34r5

Homework Statement

A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 20.2 m/s and the stone is 1.40 m above the ground when launched. Assume g = 9.80 m/s2.

A: How high above the ground does the stone rise?
B: How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Y=Vit+ 1/2ayt2
vf2-vi2/ay=T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the first formula with the time from the second and can't get the answer. I have tried everything I can think of and was even working with others at school to try and get this one. I have seen the other problem identical to this listed but I couldn't understand it. Please Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
D4b34r5 said:

Homework Statement

A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 20.2 m/s and the stone is 1.40 m above the ground when launched. Assume g = 9.80 m/s2.

A:How high above the ground does the stone rise?
B:How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Y=Vit+ 1/2ayt2
vf2-vi2/ay=T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the first formula with the time from the second and can't get the answer. I have tried everything I can think of and was even working with others at school to try and get this one. I have seen the other problem identical to this listed but I couldn't understand it. Please Help

Welcome to PF.

I'm sure you meant this equation to be:
(vf2-vi2)/2ay=Y

Maybe that will be all you need?

ay = -g
Y + 1.4 = Ymax

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. And yes I had that, I just input the equation wrong into the computer.

When I go through and try an answer I have gotten 2.06 for the time it takes for it to stop rising which I would think i could just input into the formula to have it be some thing like y=1.40m+20.2m/s(2.06s)+1/2(-9.8m/s2)(2.06s)2. I end up getting 22 but I don't think that is the answer, it just doesn't make sense with it rising for 2 seconds with an initial velocity of 20m/s...

D4b34r5 said:
Thanks for the welcome. And yes I had that, I just input the equation wrong into the computer.

When I go through and try an answer I have gotten 2.06 for the time it takes for it to stop rising which I would think i could just input into the formula to have it be some thing like y=1.40m+20.2m/s(2.06s)+1/2(-9.8m/s2)(2.06s)2. I end up getting 22 but I don't think that is the answer, it just doesn't make sense with it rising for 2 seconds with an initial velocity of 20m/s...

Use the equation I suggested first.

That's (02 - (20.3)2)/2(-9.8) = Y
where your final velocity is 0.
Then to that number you add the additional 1.4 m.

Now use the height Y to figure Time to MAX and then use Y + 1.4 to figure time to fall.. These two times you can calculate simply with Y = 1/2 g t2

Then add the two time results together. That's Total time.

Thank you! Finally got it.

Related to How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

1. What factors affect the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground?

The main factors that affect the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground are the height from which the stone is dropped, the acceleration due to gravity (which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth), and the initial velocity of the stone (if it is thrown or launched instead of simply dropped).

2. How can I calculate the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground?

The time it takes for a stone to hit the ground can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2. This equation assumes that the stone is dropped from rest and there is no air resistance.

3. Does the mass of the stone affect the time it takes to hit the ground?

No, the mass of the stone does not affect the time it takes to hit the ground. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is independent of an object's mass, meaning that all objects will fall at the same rate regardless of their mass.

4. How does air resistance affect the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground?

Air resistance can affect the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground by slowing down its descent. This is because as the stone falls, it encounters air particles that push against it in the opposite direction of its motion, creating a drag force. The greater the air resistance, the longer it will take for the stone to reach the ground.

5. Can the time it takes for a stone to hit the ground be affected by the shape or size of the stone?

Yes, the shape and size of the stone can affect the time it takes to hit the ground. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, slowing down their descent and increasing the time it takes to reach the ground. Additionally, objects with a more streamlined shape will encounter less air resistance and fall faster than objects with a more irregular shape.