How Much Voltage Does a Bird Feel on a Power Line?

• Thread starter sp1974
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: Andrew Mason already told you how to use that to find the voltage across that section.sorry I read the one post to quick and didnt understand right. The bird feels .00186V. Thanks!
sp1974
I have a homework problem I am stuck on can some one help?

A bird stands on an electric transmission line carrying 3100 A. of current. The line has 3.0E-05 ohm resistance per meter, and the bird's feet are 2.0 cm. apart. What voltage does the bird feel?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sp1974 said:
I have a homework problem I am stuck on can some one help?

A bird stands on an electric transmission line carrying 3100 A. of current. The line has 3.0E-05 ohm resistance per meter, and the bird's feet are 2.0 cm. apart. What voltage does the bird feel?

Thanks!
What is the resistance of the wire between the bird's feet? The voltage is just IR.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What is the resistance of the wire between the bird's feet? The voltage is just IR.

AM

That is all the info that was given for the problem

sp1974 said:
That is all the info that was given for the problem

No, you misunderstand. Andrew Mason was hinting at the first step in answering this question. It is possible to answer Andrew Mason's question using the information you have been given. You know the resistance per unit length, and you know what length of cable is between the bird's feet.

By the way, please post homework problems in the Homework Help subforum in the future.

yes but I am looking for resistance and don't have the cross sectional area of the wire. the formula I have was R= (resistivity of wire) Length/Area

sp1974 said:
yes but I am looking for resistance and don't have the cross sectional area of the wire. the formula I have was R= (resistivity of wire) Length/Area

You don't need any of that information, because the problem already tells you how much resistance a one-metre section of this type of wire has. All you need to do is figure out how long a section spans the distance between the bird's feet.

So R=(3e-5 ohm).02m/A ? Still have 2 unknowns

sp1974 said:
So R=(3e-5 ohm).02m/A ? Still have 2 unknowns

I don't understand what you are doing. Where does 'A' come from? What you have been given in the problem is:

[tex] \frac{\textrm{resistance}}{\textrm{length}} [/tex]​

in units of ohms/metre. To figure out the total resistance in the section of wire of interest, all you have to do is multiply this number by "length" to end up with just "resistance."

it is the formula we were given for the resistivity of material

so 3e-5/.02m = .0015ohms

Is that right? If so how do I translate that to the voltage?

sp1974 said:
it is the formula we were given for the resistivity of material

I realize that. What I'm saying (and what I said in post #6) is that it is not relevant here. You don't need to know the resistivity or the cross-sectional area. They would only be useful if you were trying to calculate the total resistance of a piece of material from scratch. But this problem tells you how much resistance per metre this wire has. Therefore, to figure out the resistance of a section of it, all you need to know is the length of that section.

sp1974 said:
so 3e-5/.02m = .0015ohms

Is that right?

No, it's not. Think about it. You have resistance OVER length. How do you combine that with 'length' in order to get just 'resistance.' Hint 1: the answer is not division. Hint 2: the result should obviously end up with units of ohms.

sp1974 said:
If so how do I translate that to the voltage?

Assuming you eventually find the right answer for the resistance of that section of wire, Andrew Mason already told you how to use that to find the voltage across that section.

sorry I read the one post to quick and didnt understand right. The bird feels .00186V. Thanks!

Related to How Much Voltage Does a Bird Feel on a Power Line?

What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different electrical properties. Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in a circuit, while current is a measure of the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Voltage is often compared to water pressure in a pipe, while current is compared to the rate of water flow through the pipe.

What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV).

What is the relationship between voltage and power?

Voltage and power are related, but they are not the same thing. Voltage is a measure of potential energy, while power is a measure of the rate at which energy is being used or produced. In a simple electrical circuit, power (in watts) is equal to voltage (in volts) multiplied by current (in amps).

How is voltage measured in a circuit?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points. It is important to note that voltage can only be measured in a closed circuit.