How Much Weight Can the Sign Hold Without Breaking the Cable?

• Thread starter tangibleLime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Sign
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum mass of a sign hanging from a pole supported by a cable. The equation used is the sum of torque equation, which is set to zero since the system is at equilibrium. After calculating for the torque forces and plugging in the values, the resulting mass of the sign is approximately 46, but further discussion reveals that the error may lie in the calculation of the angle, which should be in degrees. After correcting the equation and angle, the resulting mass is 18.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

A 120-cm-wide sign hangs from a 5.4 kg, 200-cm-long pole. A cable of negligible mass supports the end of the rod as shown in the figure.

12.P66.jpg

What is the maximum mass of the sign if the maximum tension in the cable without breaking is 380 N?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma \tau = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is my understanding that the above equation is an adaptation of Newton's Second Law, [tex]\vec{F}=ma[/tex]. Since the system is at equilibrium, the torque evaluates zero. I summed up the torque forces, and set them equal to zero.

[tex]\Sigma \tau = 0[/tex]
[tex]-m_{s}gr_{s}-m_{b}(g)(r_{b})+\vec{F}(r_{c})(atan(250/200)) = 0[/tex]

I calculated [tex]r_{s}[/tex] by taking the center of the sign and adding the initial space of 80cm from the left wall.
[tex]r_{s} = 0.80 + (1.20 / 2) = 1.40[/tex]

I calculated [tex]r_{b}[/tex] by taking the length of the main bar and, since it has uniform density, simply divided the length by two.
[tex]r_{b} = 2 / 1 = 1[/tex]

Plugging in the values I have, I compiled this equation:
[tex]-m_{s}(9.8)(1.40)-5.4(9.8)(1)+380(2)(atan(250/200)) = 0[/tex]

Solving for [tex]m_{s}[/tex] (the mass of the sign), I get [tex]m_{s} \approx 46[/tex], but that was judged as incorrect. I believe my error may be in the [tex]atan(250/200)[/tex] at the end of my equation.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque exerted by the cable is Frsin(theta). You used Fr*theta.

Alright, so I modified my equation to [tex]-m_{s}(9.8)(1.40)-5.4(9.8)(1)+380(2)(sin(atan(250/200))) = 0[/tex], which results in 18, but that is still incorrect. Is there something else I am doing wrong?

Just thought I'd add that I have made sure to use degrees... that is the correct route to go, right?

How may degrees did you get? Check the angle and/or your math.

Related to How Much Weight Can the Sign Hold Without Breaking the Cable?

What is a sign hanging from a cable?

A sign hanging from a cable is a type of signage that is suspended from a cable or wire. It is commonly used for outdoor advertising, directional signs, and wayfinding.

What materials are used to make a sign hanging from a cable?

The materials used for a sign hanging from a cable depend on the specific design and purpose of the sign. Typically, materials such as aluminum, acrylic, vinyl, and LED lights are used for the sign itself, while steel cables or wires are used for the suspension.

How is a sign hanging from a cable installed?

A sign hanging from a cable is installed by first determining the location and height at which it will be suspended. Then, holes are drilled into the surface where the cables will be attached. The cables are then inserted and tightened, and the sign is attached to the cables using specialized hardware.

What are the advantages of using a sign hanging from a cable?

There are several advantages to using a sign hanging from a cable, including its visibility and durability. Being suspended above ground level allows the sign to be easily seen and noticed by passersby. Additionally, the use of durable materials and proper installation techniques make these signs long-lasting and able to withstand various weather conditions.

Can a sign hanging from a cable be customized?

Yes, a sign hanging from a cable can be customized to fit the specific needs and branding of a business or organization. This can include choosing the size, shape, and design of the sign, as well as the materials used. Some companies also offer the option to add custom graphics or logos to the sign.