How Much Work Does a Water Pump Do to Raise Water from a Well?

In summary, the question asks for the work done on water by a pump, but lacks necessary information to calculate the work. The textbook answer of 1.30*10^5 J is incorrect and the question may have been intended to ask for power instead.
student34

Homework Statement

Water is pumped from a well at 800kg/minute. The well is 14.0 meters deep. By the time the water reaches the top of the well, it is traveling at 18.0m/s. How much work is done on the water by the pump?

Homework Equations

ƩFy = F - m*g = m*a
W = F*y
a = vf/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a = vf/t = (18.0m/s)/60.0s = 0.300m/s^2

F = m*a + m*g = 8080 N

W = F*y = 8080N*14.0m = 113,120 J

But the answer in my textbook is 1.30*10^5 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question does not make sense. The pump does some definite amount of work in some definite period of time. As time goes on, the work done by the pump increases without any limit.

As voko says, the question makes no sense as it stands. Some missing information?
student34 said:
a = vf/t = (18.0m/s)/60.0s = 0.300m/s^2
That calculation doesn't make sense either. The info does not say that it takes 1 minute to accelerate the water to 18m/s.

What is the kinetic energy per unit volume of the water at the top of the well? What is the kinetic energy per unit volume of the water before it is acted upon by the pump? What is the potential energy per unit volume of the water at the top of the well, compared to at the bottom of the well? What is the volume rate of flow of the water? What is the rate at which work is done by the pump on the water?

Something is wrong with the question or the textbook answer. The question only has enough info to calculate the power (Watts) not the energy (Joules).

CWatters said:
Something is wrong with the question or the textbook answer. The question only has enough info to calculate the power (Watts) not the energy (Joules).

I think the implication of the question was to get the power, although the question certainly was worded poorly.

In that case the textbook answer is also wrong.

CWatters said:
In that case the textbook answer is also wrong.

Yes. I agree. I get about 4 kW. Does that agree with your result?

Yes that's what I got.

I couldn't see an obvious way to modify the question to get the answer 1.30*10^5 J unless they missed out..
"How much energy is consumed if it pumps the water for 30 seconds".

Related to How Much Work Does a Water Pump Do to Raise Water from a Well?

What is work done by a water pump?

The work done by a water pump is the amount of energy required for the pump to move water from one location to another. This can be measured in units of joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm).

How is the work done by a water pump calculated?

The work done by a water pump can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the pump (in newtons) by the distance the water is moved (in meters). This can be represented by the formula: work = force x distance.

What factors affect the work done by a water pump?

The work done by a water pump can be affected by several factors, including the distance the water needs to be moved, the weight of the water, the efficiency of the pump, and the type of pump being used.

How does the efficiency of a water pump impact the work done?

The efficiency of a water pump can impact the work done by affecting the amount of energy required to move the water. A more efficient pump will require less energy to move the same amount of water compared to a less efficient pump.

What are some real-life applications of calculating work done by a water pump?

Calculating the work done by a water pump can be useful in many real-life scenarios, such as designing irrigation systems, determining the power required for a water pump, and assessing the efficiency of a pump in industrial or agricultural settings.

Back