How much Work is done on a rolling box with frictionless wheels?

• Thread starter Abdulrehman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done on a box with frictionless wheels as it is pushed by a student with a horizontal force of 150N. The question asks for the work done by the floor, but it is realized that there is no work done by the floor as the wheels are frictionless. The formula for work is mentioned and it is concluded that no work is done in this scenario.
Abdulrehman
[Note by mentor: This thread does not use the homework template because it was moved here from a non-homework forum.]

--------------------------------------

Okay I've issue related to work so i thought i should ask here. Its really frustrating I've tried everything but I just can't figure out how to find work.
Question:
A set of frictionless wheels are attached to the bottom of a box, which is then measured and found to have a mass of 6.0kg. The box is placed on the floor, and a student of Physics uses a brief horizontal force of 150N to push the box sideways, after which the box rolls across the floor with constant velocity. How much Work does the floor do on the box as it rolls along?

since work is w= fxd and there is no distance given. also that to find a distance you need time and there is no time given either. I can't figure out how to do it, any ideas please? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdulrehman said:
since work is w= fxd and there is no distance given
What is the value of f? Do you really need d in this case?

f is Force and work is force x distance so yes I need it. I can't think of else way
I tried other formula too which is Work = 1/2mv^2 but velocity is constant has no value so no idea.

If there is no force being applied, there is no work...so why do you need the distance it rolls without a force?

150 N Force is being applied, it says in the Question

Abdulrehman said:
150 N Force is being applied
By what?

By a student of physics who is pushing it horizontally

Abdulrehman said:
By a student of physics who is pushing it horizontally
But that isn't the force that the question asks about.

so you are saying that there is no work done because there is actually no force acting on it?

Abdulrehman said:
so you are saying that there is no work done because there is actually no force acting on it?
What does the formula for work say if f=0?

If force is zero work would be zero too becase formaul is force x distance. but in question its implying that work happened as box moved

Abdulrehman said:
question its implying that work happened as box moved
You have to read more carefully what it says/asks. It asks about work by floor, not by the student.

Frictionless means there is no friction force, right?

Yup i figured that and I must admit that I was being stupid and I didn't read the last words properly that work done by "floor" which is doing nothing because wheels are frictionless.
ahhh not a good feeling. no.
thanks mate.

Related to How much Work is done on a rolling box with frictionless wheels?

What is the purpose of asking a quick question about work?

The purpose of asking a quick question about work is to clarify any confusion or uncertainties about a particular task or project. It allows for efficient communication and ensures that the work is completed accurately and on time.

How should I phrase my quick question about work?

When asking a quick question about work, it is important to be clear and concise. Use specific and direct language to clearly convey your question. Avoid using jargon or technical terms that may not be understood by everyone.

Who should I ask my quick question about work to?

You should ask your quick question about work to a colleague or supervisor who has knowledge and expertise in the specific task or project. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and helpful answer.

When is the appropriate time to ask a quick question about work?

The appropriate time to ask a quick question about work is when you are actively working on the task or project and encounter a problem or uncertainty. This allows for timely resolution and prevents any delays in completing the work.

What should I do if I have multiple quick questions about work?

If you have multiple quick questions about work, it is best to organize them and ask them in a logical order. This will help to prevent confusion and ensure that all of your questions are addressed. If possible, try to consolidate your questions into one conversation to avoid interrupting others multiple times.

Back