How Orthopedic Hardware Affects Bone Fractures - Q&A

• Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardware
In summary, the speaker shares their experience of having metal plates and screws put in their arm after breaking it. They mention their doctor's warning that the hardware may make their bones more vulnerable to fractures. They express interest in learning more about the theoretical physics behind this and ask for information on the topic. One suggestion is to ask their doctor or nurse for online resources. Two potential websites are also provided for further reading.
Ryuk1990
Ok, so a while ago I broke my arm and I had to have metal plates and screws put on my ulna and radius. My doctor told me that in theory, my forearm can break more easily with the hardware inside me. I'm interested in learning more about the theoretical physics behind orthopedic hardware making the bones more vulnerable to fractures. Does anyone know much about this topic? It's difficult finding information about this on the Internet.

I'd figure I'd give it a shot asking on this forum since I get no responses on the medical websites that I've tried. :-(

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion would be to ask your doctor where you can obtain more information.
Seriously. I've done it(for different reasons)
Here's the nice part... you don't have to schedule another appoinment to do this. Just call and talk to the nurse, who will then talk to the doctor, and the nurse will get back to you. No charge!
Be specific. Ask for an online site.

Just some thoughts...

Edit. And here's a couple sites that might help you:

http://www.sandersclinic.net/common_frac_dis.html

http://www.boneandjoint.org/tabid/15143/mid/26413/ContentPubID/124/ContentClassificationGroupID/-1/Default.aspx

Related to How Orthopedic Hardware Affects Bone Fractures - Q&A

1. How does orthopedic hardware help heal bone fractures?

Orthopedic hardware is used to stabilize and support the broken bone. This can help the bone heal properly and prevent further damage or displacement. The hardware acts as an internal cast, keeping the bone in place while it heals.

2. What types of orthopedic hardware are commonly used for bone fractures?

The most commonly used orthopedic hardware for bone fractures include plates, screws, rods, and pins. These devices are made of materials such as metal or plastic and are designed to provide stability and support to the broken bone.

3. Can orthopedic hardware cause any complications or side effects?

While rare, complications and side effects can occur with orthopedic hardware. These may include infection, allergic reactions, and discomfort. It is important to closely follow the doctor's instructions for caring for the hardware to reduce the risk of these complications.

4. How long does orthopedic hardware need to stay in place for a bone fracture to heal?

The length of time orthopedic hardware needs to stay in place varies depending on the severity and location of the fracture. In most cases, the hardware will be removed after the bone has healed and regained its strength. This can range from several weeks to several months.

5. Is orthopedic hardware always necessary for bone fractures?

No, orthopedic hardware is not always necessary for bone fractures. In some cases, a cast or splint may be enough to support and heal the fracture. However, in more severe or complex fractures, orthopedic hardware may be necessary to ensure proper healing and prevent further damage.