How precise can Doppler shift be measured in detecting exo-planets?

In summary, the precision of a Doppler shift can be revealed by measuring the shift of a star's spectra, which can help detect exo-planets. State of the art spectrographs can measure the star moving at 10 cm/s. By using Doppler's law and setting V = 1 m/s and c = 3 x 10^8 m/s, a precision of \Delta \lambda = \frac{\lambda_0}{10^8} can be achieved. This precision is achieved using a special technique and can be compared to the Earth's speed around the sun.
Daaavde
As the title says, I'm interested in the precision a Doppler shift can be revealed.

That's why I read that it's possible to detect exo-planets by measuring the Doppler shift of the star's spectra. Works like this: the stars moves, since it moves back and forth is spectrum suffer from Doppler shift, by measuring this shift you can deduce at which speed the star is moving.

Now, my professor said once that state of the art spectrographs can measure the star moving at 10 cm/s.

But, using Doppler's law: [itex]V = c \frac{\lambda -\lambda_0}{\lambda_0} \qquad \Rightarrow \qquad \Delta \lambda = \frac{\lambda_0 V}{c}[/itex] and setting, for now, [itex]V = 1 m/s[/itex], [itex]c = 3 \cdot 10^{8} m/s[/itex] that means that we can reveal a [itex]\Delta \lambda = \frac{\lambda_0}{10^8}[/itex].

My professer intended that they use a special tecnique to achieve this precision and that he would probably ask me this at my exam (which is tomorrow) so please, if someone could answer very fast i would be very grateful.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To give two keywords: Compare spectral lines to a frequency comb.

As interesting comparison, our Earth drags around the sun with approximately 10cm/s.

Related to How precise can Doppler shift be measured in detecting exo-planets?

1. What is the definition of precision in Doppler shift?

Precision in Doppler shift refers to the ability to accurately measure and distinguish between small changes in the frequency of a wave caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How is precision in Doppler shift measured?

Precision in Doppler shift is typically measured in terms of the uncertainty or error in the frequency measurement, often expressed in units of hertz (Hz) or velocity (m/s).

3. What factors can affect the precision of Doppler shift measurements?

Factors that can affect the precision of Doppler shift measurements include the quality and sensitivity of the measuring instrument, environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure, and the relative velocity and distance between the source and observer.

4. How can precision in Doppler shift be improved?

Precision in Doppler shift can be improved by using more accurate and sensitive measuring instruments, controlling for environmental factors, and reducing the distance between the source and observer.

5. What are some real-world applications of precision in Doppler shift?

Precision in Doppler shift has many real-world applications, including measuring the speed of objects in space, remote sensing of atmospheric conditions using Doppler weather radar, and medical applications such as blood flow measurements and ultrasound imaging.