How prevalent is geometric algebra/calculus?

• Thread starter Mike706
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, geometric algebra is a mathmatical formalism that is used in many different fields of physics. It is not commonly studied in mainstream physics, but it is very powerful and could be used to solve many of the problems physicists are currently facing.
Mike706
Hello,

I am working through Clifford Algebra to Geometric Calculus, and supplementing with Hestenes' other books, as well as Geometric Algebra for Physicists.

I'm not looking for advice on the books or learning materials (feel free to chime in if you have an opinion on the matter, though!). I am just curious how common it is to see geometric algebra/calculus in current mainstream physics research. I'm really enjoying the subject, but I want to know if it is a small niche or widespread. Speculation on future trends of the subject's prevalence would also be appreciated.

I want to make sure I shouldn't be focusing my efforts elsewhere.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
I've not really seen it explicitly brought up in a mainstream context. I think there are a lot o fpossibilities for it, as it can be said to underlie all the stuff we do in 2d (complex analysis), 3d, and 3+1d spaces, and the insight it provides in unifying all the disparate descriptions of these is really powerful, but I don't think it's really "caught on" yet.

Applications of Geometric Algebra

Outside of Cambridge geometric algebra has mainly caught on for computer vision and robotics (in adopting something new engineers are usually ahead of physicists).

In physicis the main application is the gauge theory of gravity (Cambridge). The problem in physics is that academic physicists are under such pressure to publish or perish that they cannot take the time to learn a new mathmatical formalism when they already know formalisms that can solve the problems they have even though the new formalism could greatly simplify the solutions.

In order for geometric algebra/calculus to enter the physics mainstream it need to be taught in the undergraduate math ciriculum. If you are interested I have extensive notes (based on Doran and Lasenby) and symbolic GA software (python) at

https://github.com/brombo/GA

Last edited by a moderator:
Clifford Algebras make an appearance in the Dirac equation (and generally with spinors, which are all over the place in particle physics). But I suppose it's too tangential for a lot of physicists to study in depth.

Related to How prevalent is geometric algebra/calculus?

1. How prevalent is geometric algebra/calculus in modern science?

Geometric algebra/calculus is becoming increasingly prevalent in modern science, particularly in the fields of physics, computer graphics, and robotics. It is also gaining popularity in engineering and mathematics research. Many scientists and mathematicians are incorporating geometric algebra/calculus into their work, and it is being taught in universities around the world.

2. What benefits does geometric algebra/calculus offer over traditional methods?

Geometric algebra/calculus offers a more intuitive and powerful way to represent and manipulate geometric objects. It allows for the easy translation between different mathematical representations and provides a unified framework for handling a wide range of geometric concepts. It also has applications in areas such as computer vision and machine learning.

3. How does geometric algebra/calculus compare to other mathematical frameworks?

Geometric algebra/calculus is a powerful and versatile mathematical framework that can handle a wide range of geometric concepts. It is particularly useful for problems involving rotations, reflections, and translations in three-dimensional spaces. It also offers advantages over traditional methods such as vector algebra, matrix algebra, and quaternions.

4. Are there any limitations to using geometric algebra/calculus?

While geometric algebra/calculus offers many advantages, it is not a universal mathematical framework and may not be the best approach for all problems. It can be more complex to learn and use than traditional methods, and may not be as well-supported by existing software libraries. Additionally, some problems may still require the use of other mathematical frameworks.

5. How can I learn more about geometric algebra/calculus?

There are many resources available for learning about geometric algebra/calculus, including books, online tutorials, and courses. Some universities also offer classes specifically on geometric algebra/calculus. Additionally, there are numerous research papers and conferences dedicated to this mathematical framework. It is recommended to start by learning the fundamentals and then exploring applications in specific fields.