How reconstitute a conic equation by 4 roots?

• Thread starter Bruno Tolentino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, it is possible to write a conic equation in the form (x-a)(x-b) + (y-c)(y-d) + (x-a)(x-d) = 0 that intersects the points a, b, c, and d, as long as it is not a parabola.
Bruno Tolentino
Given two points in x-axis, a and b, is possible formulate a quadratic equation whose roots intersects a and b: (x-a)(x-b)=0

So, is possible make the same with a conic equation? Given 4 points, two in x-axis (a and b) and two in y-axis (c and d), is possible reconstitute a conic equation whose roots in x and y are a, b, c and d?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bruno Tolentino said:
Given two points in x-axis, a and b, is possible formulate a quadratic equation whose roots intersects a and b: (x-a)(x-b)=0
Not uniquely. This is [itex]x^2- (a+ b)x+ ab= 0[/itex]. Multiplying the entire equation by any non-zero number gives another quadratic equation having the same roots.
If you want the quadratic function with leading coefficient 1, given by [itex]y= x^2+ bx+ c[/itex] then you need to determine two values, a and b. That requires two linear equations which you can get by replacing x and y with values of two points, not just where the graph crosses the x-axis.

So, is possible make the same with a conic equation? Given 4 points, two in x-axis (a and b) and two in y-axis (c and d), is possible reconstitute a conic equation whose roots in x and y are a, b, c and d?
A general conic is of the form [itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2+ dx+ ey+ f= 0[/itex]. Even assuming a= 1 we have five coefficients, b, c, d, e, and f, to determine. That will require five points, not just four.

HallsofIvy said:
Not uniquely. This is [itex]x^2- (a+ b)x+ ab= 0[/itex]. Multiplying the entire equation by any non-zero number gives another quadratic equation having the same roots.
If you want the quadratic function with leading coefficient 1, given by [itex]y= x^2+ bx+ c[/itex] then you need to determine two values, a and b. That requires two linear equations which you can get by replacing x and y with values of two points, not just where the graph crosses the x-axis. A general conic is of the form [itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2+ dx+ ey+ f= 0[/itex]. Even assuming a= 1 we have five coefficients, b, c, d, e, and f, to determine. That will require five points, not just four.

I want ANY conic equantion that intersects a, b, c and d! And, more importante: I want to write this conic in the format (x-a)(x-b) + (y-c)(y-d) + (x-a)(x-d) = 0! Or, in some format like this...

Bruno Tolentino said:
I want ANY conic equantion that intersects a, b, c and d! And, more importante: I want to write this conic in the format (x-a)(x-b) + (y-c)(y-d) + (x-a)(x-d) = 0! Or, in some format like this...
Since you know what "conics" are, surely you know that the graphs of conics are one of:
ellipse,
circle,
parabola,
hyperbola,
a single straight line,
two parallel straight lines,
two intersecting straight lines.
(The last three are "degenerate conics")

NONE of those cross the x-axis (or any horizontal straight line) more than twice so what you are asking for is impossible.

Bruno Tolentino said:

I don't believe HallsOfIvy read your question correctly. Given two x-intercepts a and b, and two y-intercepts c and d, there are many conics that meet this requirement: circles, ellipses, and hyperbolas. The only conic that doesn't satisfy the requirements is a parabola.

Related to How reconstitute a conic equation by 4 roots?

1. How do I determine the type of conic equation based on the given 4 roots?

In order to determine the type of conic equation, you will need to look at the degree of the equation. If the degree is 2, then it is a parabola. If the degree is 2, then it is a circle. If the degree is 3, then it is an ellipse. If the degree is 4, then it is a hyperbola.

2. What are the steps to reconstitute a conic equation by 4 roots?

The steps to reconstitute a conic equation by 4 roots are as follows:

1. Determine the type of conic equation based on the degree.
  2. Write the general equation for that type of conic.
  3. Plug in the given roots into the general equation.
  4. Simplify the equation to get the final conic equation.

3. Can I reconstitute a conic equation using only 3 roots?

No, in order to reconstitute a conic equation, you need to have 4 roots. This is because a conic equation of degree 2 has 4 terms, which means it needs 4 roots to be fully determined.

4. How can I check if my reconstituted conic equation is correct?

You can check if your reconstituted conic equation is correct by plugging in the given roots into the equation and ensuring that they satisfy the equation. You can also graph the equation to visually check if it matches the given roots.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when reconstituting a conic equation by 4 roots?

Some common mistakes to avoid when reconstituting a conic equation by 4 roots include:

• Using the wrong general equation for the given type of conic.
  • Forgetting to simplify the equation after plugging in the roots.
  • Using the incorrect sign for one of the terms in the equation.