How Should a Confused Camel Correct Its Path?

In summary, trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. To solve trigonometric equations, one must use properties and identities of trigonometric functions and have a basic understanding of algebra and the unit circle. Vectors, which have magnitude and direction, are used in trigonometry to represent the position and direction of objects in a coordinate system, and to solve problems involving forces and motion. Trigonometry can also be used to find unknown sides and angles of a triangle by using the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios. It has numerous real-life applications, such as calculating distances and heights
mossfan563

Homework Statement

Oasis B is a distance D = 9 km east of oasis A, along the x-axis shown in the Figure. A confused camel, intending to walk directly from A to B instead walks a distance W1 = 22 km west of due south by angle θ1 = 15.0°. It then walks a distance W2 = 33 km due north. If it is to then walk directly to B, (a) how far (in km) and (b) in what direction should it walk (relative to the positive direction of the x axis)?

3_2_a.jpg

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem and trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture that depicted the camel's path. I ended up with two right triangles. I used the angle and side that I had to try and find out the length of the two sides.
W1 * sin 15
Then i subtracted whatever I got to get the remainder of W2.
W2 - (W1 * sin 15).
I also did W1 * cos 15 to find the remaining side. Then I added 9 to fill out the upper right triangle. Then I did pythagorean theorem to find out the answer for a.
I'm confused as to what angle to find for part B.

For a, I got 40.74 km and it was wrong. I redid the problem and got 49.679 and it was wrong.
For b, I got 47.93 degrees and it was wrong. Then I got 56.665 and it was wrong.

Am I doing the problem wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mossfan563 said:
A confused camel, intending to walk directly from A to B instead walks a distance W1 = 22 km west of due south by angle θ1 = 15.0°.

W2 - (W1 * sin 15).

Hi mossfan563! :smile:

(it would be easier to help you if you actually gave all your calculation, instead of just the result)

sin = opposite/hypotenuse, so I think you should have used W2 - (W1 * cos 15).

tiny-tim said:
Hi mossfan563! :smile:

(it would be easier to help you if you actually gave all your calculation, instead of just the result)

sin = opposite/hypotenuse, so I think you should have used W2 - (W1 * cos 15).

Well I assume that you know what W2 and W1 is and what not since its given in the question. But since you want all my calculations:

W1 * sin 15 = 5.69 km

W2 - (W1 * sin 15) = 27.3 km

W1 * cos 15 + 9 = 30.25 km

27.3^2 + 30.25^2 = 1660 km

sqrt(27.3^2 + 30.25^2) = 40.747 km

Why W2 - (W1 * cos 15)? W1 is the hypotenuse if you draw the triangles/camel's path correctly. 40.747 is the hypotenuse of the other triangle.

mossfan563 said:
Why W2 - (W1 * cos 15)? W1 is the hypotenuse if you draw the triangles/camel's path correctly. 40.747 is the hypotenuse of the other triangle.

The confused camel is going 15º west of due south.

That's very nearly due south.

So it's going very nearly 22 miles south, = 22*cos15º, to be subtracted form the 33 miles north :smile:

tiny-tim said:
The confused camel is going 15º west of due south.

That's very nearly due south.

So it's going very nearly 22 miles south, = 22*cos15º, to be subtracted form the 33 miles north :smile:

So you are saying the camel's is really just a line and a triangle?

mossfan563 said:
So you are saying the camel's is really just a line and a triangle?

no … I'm saying that the 22*sin15º is the much shorter distance that the camel goes westward.

the camel goes mostly south and a bit west.

Related to How Should a Confused Camel Correct Its Path?

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions, such as the Pythagorean identities and the double angle formulas. You also need to have a basic understanding of algebra and the unit circle.

3. What are vectors and how are they used in trigonometry?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In trigonometry, vectors are used to represent the position and direction of an object or point in a coordinate system. They can also be used to solve problems involving forces and motion.

4. How can I use trigonometry to find the unknown sides and angles of a triangle?

Trigonometry can be used to find the unknown sides and angles of a triangle by using the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios. These ratios relate the different sides and angles of a triangle and can be used to solve for the missing values.

5. Can trigonometry be used in real-life applications?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various real-life applications such as calculating distances and heights, determining the trajectory of projectiles, and designing buildings and structures. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, geography, and surveying.