How Should Citations Be Placed Within Academic Reports?

• Thread starter luitzen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Citations
In summary, the conversation is about seeking advice on citations for a report. The question is whether it is better to start a paragraph with a citation or end it. The person is not writing a report on bananas and is looking for the standard format for citations. A link was provided but it only explains how to write references and does not mention where to put citations. It is suggested to put citations at the end and many fields have their own style guides.
luitzen
I'm not sure where to put this question, so I'll try it here. I'm currently writing a report and I'm asking for advice on citations. I know that when you write down a fact or an idea which is not original, you add a citation which explains where you got it from (e.g. bananas are yellow [1]). However, when I write a paragraph explaining something I have the feeling that it's maybe better to start it with the citation instead of ending it, so that the reader knows that the citation covers the entirety of the paragraph and not merely the last sentence or fact (e.g. [1]Through the process of photosynthesis, banana trees acquire energy which they then use to... ... That's why bananas are yellow).

What do you think is the best way to go?

P.S. I'm not writing a report on bananas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the standard format; don't make up your own.

What is the standard format?

luitzen said:
What is the standard format?

Here are the accepted citation formats
http://www2.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citation.htm

Last edited:
That link was not really helpful. It details how you should write entries in a list of references for which I use Bibtex and it explains how you should use parenthetical references (which I don't, I use [#ID], which is regularly seen in the natural sciences). It doesn't explain where citations should be put. Hell, it does not even mention a format for the natural sciences, though I suppose AMA is pretty close.

Put it at the end.

Many journals and professional scientific societies have style guides for formatting papers specific to their fields. For example, in chemistry, many follow the American Chemical Society style guide.

Related to How Should Citations Be Placed Within Academic Reports?

1. What is the purpose of citing sources in a report?

Citing sources in a report serves two main purposes: giving credit to the original authors for their ideas and research, and allowing readers to find and verify the information used in the report.

2. How do I know which citation style to use?

The citation style to use depends on your field of study or the specific guidelines given by your instructor or publication. Some common citation styles include APA, MLA, and Chicago. It is important to be consistent and use the same style throughout your report.

3. What information should be included in a citation?

The information included in a citation varies depending on the type of source being cited, but generally includes the author's name, title of the source, publication date, and page numbers. Online sources may also require a URL or DOI.

4. Do I need to cite my own ideas or original research?

No, you do not need to cite your own ideas or original research. However, if you are using information or data from a previous publication or presentation, you should cite yourself as you would any other source.

5. What should I do if I cannot find all the necessary information for a citation?

If you cannot find all the necessary information for a citation, such as the author's name or publication date, try to include as much information as possible and use the phrase "n.d." (no date) or "n.p." (no publisher) in place of the missing information. You can also consult the citation guidelines for the particular style you are using for alternative solutions.