How Should Freshmen Study for Gen-Ed Courses?

In summary, a freshman is seeking advice on how to properly study for a non-western gen-ed course that he is not interested in due to scheduling conflicts. He is used to studying for math and science classes, but is unsure of how to approach studying for a subject like mythology. The group suggests consulting the syllabus and studying the material before class meetings. They also mention that studying techniques may vary depending on the type of course.
Thewindyfan
Hi all,

I'm a freshman that's about to begin my second semester taking 3 technical courses and 1 gen-ed course. I've gotten accustomed to studying for math and science classes in university, but I have to take this non-western gen-ed (and due to scheduling conflicts with my main 3 classes, I'm taking a course on a subject I'm not really interested at all) and I'm not really sure how i should go about properly studying this kind of material. In high school, I would spend way too much time taking notes then studying those notes and reading chapters from the text only to get a high B/low A. I know university is a whole different ball-game, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice for studying classes like these that concern subjects like mythology.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to know what the subject is and what the course objectives are for someone to help you out. I would imaging that the studying techniques could be very different between a course in history, a course in music, or a course in English literature.

Difficult to say. Mythology may require some human maturity unlike what is needed for mathematics and sciences; but on the other hand, your ability to study and look for a sense or order could be strong enough to help you as a student in the Mythology course. Use the syllabus for your course if one is provided, and study the material before the topics are presented in the class meetings.

FAQ: How Should Freshmen Study for Gen-Ed Courses?

What are some general study tips for Gen-Ed classes?

1. Create a study schedule: It's important to plan out your study sessions and stick to a schedule in order to cover all the material effectively.

2. Take good notes: Pay attention in class and take organized notes that will help you understand and remember the material better.

3. Use different study methods: Everyone learns differently, so try out different study methods such as flashcards, summarizing, or teaching the material to someone else.

4. Ask questions: If you don't understand something, don't be afraid to ask your professor or classmates for clarification.

5. Stay organized: Keep track of assignments and due dates, as well as your notes and study materials, to avoid feeling overwhelmed and falling behind.