How should I approach requesting a letter of recommendation for an REU program?

In summary, the person is looking to apply for REUs for the summer of 2010 and is wondering how to ask for a letter of recommendation from a professor they worked for during a previous REU. They are not able to speak directly to the professor and are unsure if they should assume the professor will write the letter or ask for permission beforehand. They also mention that most REU websites haven't been updated for the 2010 term and are unsure if they should contact the coordinators for more information. It is advised to not assume and to send an email to the professor asking for a letter of recommendation and to make sure it will be a positive one.
roeb
Hey,

So two summers ago I did an REU. I would like to apply to a few REUs for summer 2010 but I am wondering how I should approach asking for a letter of recommendation from the professor I worked for. Should I email him beforehand and ask his permission for a letter of recommendation and wait for a response? Or should I just assume that he'll write it and give him the information (email addresses) to send the letters to? (I can't directly go and talk to him since he's in a different city than me) My memory is slightly fuzzy but I believe he did offer that if I ever need a letter of recommendation that he'd be willing to write one.

At the moment I've noticed most REU websites haven't updated their information for the 2010 term. Should I just assume they'll be offering it again or should I try contacting the coordinators?

Thanks,
roeb

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely don't just assume he'll write it. That will come off as rude and has a chance to doom your project right off the bat. Send him an email saying you're applying to a couple REU's, and would appreciate it if he could write you a letter of recommendation for them, and if so, you'll let him know more details as they become available

I agree with Office_shredder - don't assume anything. Even if you thought the REU went great, your professor might not have had the same feeling - make sure they're willing to write you a 'good' letter of recommendation. If he agrees, great. If not, you might have dodged a bullet. I read a few 'interesting' recommendation letters for the past summer's REU; I think the student might have been better off asking someone who didn't know him or her too well.

FAQ: How should I approach requesting a letter of recommendation for an REU program?

What is a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by a person who knows you well and can provide a professional assessment of your skills, abilities, and character. It is commonly used to support an individual's application for a job, scholarship, or admission to a program.

Who should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can provide a positive evaluation of your character and abilities. This could be a teacher, professor, supervisor, or mentor. It is important to choose someone who can speak to your strengths and qualifications for the specific opportunity you are applying for.

How should I request a letter of recommendation?

You should request a letter of recommendation in person or through a formal email. Be sure to provide the person with enough information about the opportunity you are applying for and give them plenty of time to write the letter. It is also helpful to provide them with a copy of your resume and any other relevant materials.

What should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction of the writer and their relationship to the applicant, a description of the applicant's strengths and qualifications, specific examples to support these qualities, and a conclusion summarizing the writer's overall recommendation. It should also be written in a professional and positive tone.

How important are letters of recommendation in the application process?

Letters of recommendation can be an important aspect of the application process, as they provide a third-party perspective on your abilities and character. They can also provide evidence of your skills and qualifications that may not be included in your resume or application. However, the weight of a letter of recommendation may vary depending on the specific opportunity and the other components of the application.

Back