How should I find the equilibrium points and the general equation?

Math100
Homework Statement
Find the equilibrium points and the general equation for the phase paths of ## \ddot{x}+cos(x)=0 ##. Obtain the equation of the phase path joining two adjacent saddles.
Relevant Equations
For the general equation ## \ddot{x}=f(x, \dot{x}) ##, equilibrium points lie on the ## x ## axis, and are given by all solutions of ## f(x, 0)=0 ##, and the phase paths in the plane ## (x, y) (y=\dot{x}) ## are given by all solutions of the first-order equation ## \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{f(x, y)}{y} ##.
Consider the differential equation ## \ddot{x}+cos(x)=0 ##.
Note that ## \ddot{x}=f(x, \dot{x}) ##, so we have ## f(x, y)=-cos(x) ##.
Then ## f(x, 0)=-cos(x)=0 ##.
This gives ## x=n\pi-\frac{\pi}{2} ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z} ##.
Since the differential equation for the phase paths is given by ## \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{cos(x)}{y} ##,
it follows that ## y dy=-cos(x)dx\implies \int y dy=-\int cos(x)dx\implies \frac{y^2}{2}=-sin(x)+C ##.
Thus, ## y^2=-2sin(x)+C\implies y=\pm\sqrt{C-2sin(x)} ## where ## C ## is an arbitrary constant.

Above is my work for this problem. However, I've only found the general equation/solution for the phase paths of ## \ddot{x}+cos(x)=0 ## but how should I find the equilibrium points based on the equation I've found above in my work ## x=n\pi-\frac{\pi}{2} ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z} ##? Also, how should I obtain the equation of the phase path joining two adjacent saddles from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fixed points are at [itex](\dot x, \ddot x) = (0,0)[/itex]. You have correctly found these to be at [itex](x, \dot x) = ((n + \frac12)\pi,0), n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. But which are saddles? You need to find the eigenvalues of the Jacobian at these fixed points to determine that.

Then you can find the value of [itex]C[/itex] at a saddle point, which will give you the equation of the phase path(s) connecting adjacent saddles.

pasmith said:
The fixed points are at [itex](\dot x, \ddot x) = (0,0)[/itex]. You have correctly found these to be at [itex](x, \dot x) = ((n + \frac12)\pi,0), n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]. But which are saddles? You need to find the eigenvalues of the Jacobian at these fixed points to determine that.

Then you can find the value of [itex]C[/itex] at a saddle point, which will give you the equation of the phase path(s) connecting adjacent saddles.
Why is it ## (x, \dot{x})=((n+\frac{1}{2})\pi, 0) ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z} ## instead of ## (x, \dot{x})=((n-\frac{1}{2})\pi, 0) ## for some ## n\in\mathbb{Z} ##? Also, what's the Jacobian in this problem and how to find the eigenvalues of this Jacobian in order to find those saddles?

Back