How should I go up stages in mathematics?

• Thread starter superduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the speaker is a university student in Japan studying philosophy of science through a correspondence course. They feel they need to study mathematics and physics in English because Japanese textbooks use difficult kanji and lack clear descriptions. They found English learner's dictionaries to be helpful and are seeking recommendations for beginner books in mathematics. They are aiming for an A level in Cambridge International Examinations and are unsure of which topics to start with. The expert suggests starting with a refresher in arithmetic and clarifies that mathematics includes many topics. The speaker is also looking for recommendations for self-learning arithmetic and algebra and is unsure of the meaning of pre-algebra. They hope to find the best way to learn basic mathematics.
superduck
I'm a student of a university in Japan. I'm enrolled in correspondance course. I'm a philosophy of science major.
I need to study mathematics and physics basically.I think I need to study maths and physics or other subjects in English. I can barely understand them in Japanese because Japanese textbooks use too many difficult "kanji" to translate academic words and they don't have so clear description.
When I checked some words with English dictionary for learners, I found that it is very clear and simple description. So, I thought ,perhaps, it is a good way to study these subjects in English.
How do you think about my idea?
Next question is a more concrete.
I found a old book written in English about mathematics in a local library in a university. It deals with pre-algebra. Is it a correct type of mathematics to start to learn mathematics? Or if not, would you recommend some books for beginners? And would you advise me how I should go up stages of matrhematics step by step?
I don't know how pupils and students from other country study mathematics or other subjects. So, I don't know which types of mathematics they begin to learn maths.
Once I've got a good information from this site which recommend some books, but I found that I had enough money to buy it.
At present,my purpose is to achieve A level in Cambridge International Examinations.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on when your mathematics instruction stopped in secondary school in Japan. For example, if you only received instruction in arithmetic, it might be a good idea to start with a refresher in arithmetic (especially if it has been some time since your last class) before going on to study more advanced topics.

It is also a little unclear when you say you need to study 'mathematics'. In English, mathematics includes many topics, from arithmetic to algebra, trigonometry, calculus, etc. Most of the math curricula in the US proceed from arithmetic to algebra to geometry to trigonometry to advanced algebra to calculus at the secondary level. In college, depending on the subject major, some of these topics can be repeated before studying more advanced topics in calculus or other branches of mathematics.

Thank you for replying : it's very helpful

Thank you for replying. Your advice is accurate. To tell the truth, I don't know how mathematics branches are expand. So, I don't know each name of categories in mathematics well. In Japan, it is not taught well, I think. For example, one textbook contains several types of mathematics in Japanese high school. It doesn't systematic. If you could, would you recommend some books for self-learning arithmatic and algebra? I also want to know the meaning of pre-algrebra. In the textbook I mentioned before, several kind of mathematics are contained. I hope that I could find best way to learn basic mathematics. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

FAQ: How should I go up stages in mathematics?

1. How do I know if I am ready to move up to the next stage in mathematics?

The best way to determine if you are ready to move up to the next stage in mathematics is to consistently perform well on assessments and understand the concepts covered in your current stage. You should also consult with your teacher or mentor for their recommendation.

2. Should I skip stages in mathematics if I am excelling in my current stage?

Skipping stages in mathematics can be a risky decision, as each stage builds upon the concepts and skills learned in the previous stage. It is important to have a solid foundation in order to be successful in more advanced stages. However, if you are consistently performing well and feel confident in your abilities, you can discuss with your teacher about potentially skipping a stage.

3. How can I challenge myself and progress faster in mathematics?

To challenge yourself and progress faster in mathematics, try to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or practice problems. You can also try teaching the concepts to someone else, as this will solidify your understanding. Additionally, asking your teacher for extra practice problems or enrolling in advanced mathematics courses can also help you progress faster.

4. Is it important to review previous stages while learning new concepts in mathematics?

Reviewing previous stages while learning new concepts in mathematics is crucial for building a strong foundation and retaining information. Many concepts in mathematics build upon each other, so it is important to periodically review previous stages to refresh your memory and ensure you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals.

5. What is the best approach for tackling difficult concepts in mathematics?

When faced with difficult concepts in mathematics, it is important to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and practice consistently. You can also try seeking help from your teacher or peers, as they may have a different perspective or explanation that can help you understand the concept better. Additionally, don't get discouraged and remember to take breaks when needed. With persistence and practice, difficult concepts can become more manageable.