How should I proceed after conditioning on the given info?

• Thread starter bondking2
  • Start date
In summary, to find the conditional distribution of X1 given X1 < X2, use the usual equation for conditional probabilities and integrate the joint pdf of X1 and X2 over suitable regions in the number plane. Additionally, if X1 and X2 are independent, then the equation can be simplified further.
bondking2

Homework Statement

X1 nad X2 are two idpt r.v. let mu and lamda denote their respective rates. Find the conditional distribution of X1 given X1 < X2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(X1 > x1 | X1 < X2) = P(X1 > x1) P(X1 < X2) = ...??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the usual equation for conditional probabilities
$$P(A|B)=\frac{P(A\cap B)}{P(B)}$$
Here you would use
$$A=\{(X1,X2)|X1>x1\}$$
$$B=\{(X1,X2)|X1<X2\}$$
To get the two probabilities on the right-hand side, write down the joint pdf of X1 and X2, then integrate it over suitable regions in the number plane.

bondking2 said:

Homework Statement

X1 nad X2 are two idpt r.v. let mu and lamda denote their respective rates. Find the conditional distribution of X1 given X1 < X2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(X1 > x1 | X1 < X2) = P(X1 > x1) P(X1 < X2) = ...??

If ##X_1, X_2## have probability densities ##f_1, f_2##, then
[tex] P(X_1 > x | X_1 < X_2) = \int_{y=-\infty}^{\infty} P(X_1 > x | X1 < y) f_2(y) \, dy.[/tex]
Use the given fact that ##X_1, X_2## are independent (if that is what your abbreviation "idpt" means).

FAQ: How should I proceed after conditioning on the given info?

1. What is conditioning and why is it important in scientific research?

Conditioning, also known as controlled experimentation, is the process of manipulating one or more variables in an experiment in order to observe the effect on another variable. This is important in scientific research because it allows researchers to establish cause-and-effect relationships between variables and make accurate conclusions about their findings.

2. How do I determine which variables to condition on in my experiment?

The variables that you condition on will depend on your research question and hypothesis. It is important to identify the independent variable (the one you manipulate) and the dependent variable (the one you measure) in order to determine which other variables should be controlled for in your experiment.

3. What are some common methods of conditioning in scientific research?

Some common methods of conditioning include random assignment, matching, and stratification. Random assignment involves randomly assigning participants to different experimental groups, while matching involves pairing participants based on specific characteristics. Stratification involves dividing participants into groups based on specific characteristics before assigning them to different experimental conditions.

4. How do I analyze data after conditioning on specific variables?

After conditioning on specific variables, you can use statistical methods to analyze the data and determine if there are any significant differences between the groups. This can include t-tests, ANOVA, or regression analysis, depending on the type of data and research question.

5. What are some considerations when interpreting results after conditioning on specific variables?

When interpreting results after conditioning on specific variables, it is important to consider any potential confounding variables that may have influenced the results. It is also important to consider the strength of the relationship between variables and the significance of the findings. Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations of the study and potential implications for future research.