How Should You Calculate Roller Coaster Acceleration Using Motion Diagrams?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the average and instantaneous acceleration at point A using vectors. The problem is poorly worded and the solution involves finding the direction of initial and final velocities by drawing tangent lines and using vector differences. The process may also involve choosing two points near A for a better approximation of the instantaneous acceleration.
Glorzifen

Homework Statement

1192bkl.jpg

Homework Equations

a=(v2-v1)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the vector between the point before A and A as my v2.
I used the vector between the point two before A and the point before A as my v1.
I put them tail to tail and he resultant vector looks like (E) in the image.

Is this how I'm supposed to do these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly, yes. The problem is poorly worded because the average acceleration "at" A is confusing. "Average" implies either a finite time interval or a set of values, but "at" implies a single point or instant. I would have either asked for the instantaneous acceleration or asked for the average acceleration between two points.

If you have a start and end point on the path, then you can find the direction of the initial and final velocities (v1 and v2) by drawing the tangent line at those two points, and your average acceleration will point in the direction given by the vector difference v2 - v1

If you want to approximate the instantaneous acceleration, you can simply choose two points very near to A (on either side of it) and follow the same method; the closer those points are to A, the better approximation it gives. It sounds like this is what you did, but by choosing two points that were already marked for you.

Related to How Should You Calculate Roller Coaster Acceleration Using Motion Diagrams?

1. What is a roller coaster motion diagram?

A roller coaster motion diagram is a visual representation of the position, velocity, and acceleration of a roller coaster cart at different points along the track. It helps to understand the motion and forces acting on the cart as it moves along the track.

2. How is a roller coaster motion diagram created?

A roller coaster motion diagram is created by plotting the position, velocity, and acceleration of the cart at specific points along the track. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using data from sensors attached to the cart.

3. What can we learn from a roller coaster motion diagram?

A roller coaster motion diagram can provide valuable information about the motion and forces acting on the cart. It can help us understand how the cart accelerates and decelerates, as well as how different parts of the track affect its motion.

4. How does the shape of a roller coaster track affect the motion of the cart?

The shape of a roller coaster track can greatly impact the motion of the cart. For example, steep drops and sharp turns can result in high acceleration and forces on the cart, while loops and corkscrews can change the direction of motion and cause changes in velocity.

5. What role does gravity play in a roller coaster motion diagram?

Gravity is a major factor in a roller coaster motion diagram. It is what pulls the cart down the track, causing acceleration and changes in velocity. The shape and height of the track also affect the forces of gravity on the cart, resulting in different motions and sensations for riders.