How the plug works in both in both directions in socket?

In summary: Note that having a polarized 2-prong plug has at least two important functions:-1- As mentioned in the Hyperphysics link, it let's you be sure that the power switch for the device is in the Hot lead.-2- For lamps like the one below, the more exposed threads part of the bulb socket is connected to the Neutral line, and only the small button down in the bottom of the bulb socket is connected to Hot. That makes light fixtures much less of a shock hazard...
123kid
If I plug my electrical device in the socket in any direction the device works. If i plug the device in opposite direction, it makes no problem. while the current in the socket is coming in hot wire.
Is there hot and neutral also in the wire connected to the device or they are both hot ?

Physics news on Phys.org
123kid said:
If I plug my electrical device in the socket in any direction the device works. If i plug the device in opposite direction, it makes no problem. while the current in the socket is coming in hot wire.
Is there hot and neutral also in the wire connected to the device or they are both hot ?
It is alternating current. Part of the time the "hot" wire is pushing current into the circuit and that current is sinking into the neutral wire. Then a fraction of a second later the hot wire is pulling current and the neutral is sourcing it. It does not matter which wire is "hot" and which wire is "neutral". All that matters is the potential difference between the two. That difference is the same regardless of which way you plug in.

Hi there,

Its because the current alternates back and forth between poles, look up some DC vs AC theory.

Hope that gets you going the right direction.

Michael V said:
Hi there,

Its because the current alternates back and forth between poles, look up some DC vs AC theory.

Hope that gets you going the right direction.
But when i check the socket with tester, it just shows the current in one hole. ( This AC current my greatest confusion these days )

123kid said:
But when i check the socket with tester, it just shows the current in one hole. ( This AC current my greatest confusion these days )
Your tester does not detect current. It detects voltage.

123kid said:
jbriggs444 said:
Your tester does not detect current. It detects voltage.
ok .. thank you.

DrClaude said:
Some appliances have polarized plugs, such that you cannot invert hot and neutral: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/hsehld.html
Note that having a polarized 2-prong plug has at least two important functions:

-1- As mentioned in the Hyperphysics link, it let's you be sure that the power switch for the device is in the Hot lead.

-2- For lamps like the one below, the more exposed threads part of the bulb socket is connected to the Neutral line, and only the small button down in the bottom of the bulb socket is connected to Hot. That makes light fixtures much less of a shock hazard...

https://softsolder.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/img_2327-interior-of-3-way-lamp-socket.jpg
img_2327-interior-of-3-way-lamp-socket.jpg

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude

Related to How the plug works in both in both directions in socket?

1. How does the plug work in both directions in a socket?

The plug works in both directions in a socket because it is designed to be symmetrical. This means that the prongs on the plug are the same size and shape, allowing it to be inserted into the socket in either direction.

2. What is the purpose of the prongs on the plug?

The prongs on the plug serve as conductors, carrying electricity from the source to the appliance. They are designed to fit into the corresponding slots in the socket, creating a complete circuit.

3. Why is it important to have a grounded plug?

A grounded plug provides an extra layer of safety by redirecting any excess electricity to the ground, preventing shocks or fires. It also helps to stabilize the flow of electricity and reduce the risk of power surges.

4. Can I use a plug in any socket?

No, it is important to match the plug to the correct socket type. Plugs and sockets are designed to fit together in a specific way, and using the wrong combination can result in damage to the appliance or a potential safety hazard.

5. How does a plug stay securely in a socket?

The prongs of the plug are slightly bent, creating a spring-like effect when inserted into the socket. This allows the plug to stay securely in place and maintain a strong connection, ensuring a steady flow of electricity to the appliance.