How to AC oscillate a HV capacitor?

In summary, a 400000v, 200khz tesla coil with a 20pf top- load may be able to oscillate a 400000v, 20pf capacitor at the resonant frequency.
leviterande
I have read, analyzed and researched so much, my eyes and mind are on a breaking point , therefore, what I really want to know , how and why.. is perhaps best summoned in what I really want to do in the end. So let's cut to the chase:

I just simply want make a HV capacitor oscillate at a high AC frequency?. How can I achieve that ?

Example: I want a 400000v 20pf capacitor to oscillate at say a frequency of 200khz( i.e. make it charge to positive, get it to zero, make it charge to negative and get back to zero each cycle - NO SPARKS anywhere of course) . Does a 400 000v, 200khz tesla coil with a 20pf top- load do the job I need? (since the top load do that at that frequency or am I wrong?)

I have been in this journey a long time now and despite hard work and dedication I feel I am reaching nowhere. I looked into LC circuits since there it seems that caps oscillate pretty quickly easily but I am not sure anymore about what I know. I do feel that I am reaching a dead end and I wish I could speak with someone knowledgeable about this to help me. To put it in another unpreferred way, I am reaching a rather desperate point. Your help is truly valued.

Kind regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose a Tesla coil will do that voltage and frequency, but it may be difficult to stop it sparking/discharging because air will break down with those voltages.

Oh yes, stopping the top capacitance is an another problem. I just wanted to know for sure if a Tesla Coil´s top load oscillates at the resonant frequency at the Tesla Coil voltage. Insulating the capacitance in strong dielectric like mica or oil could help avoid sparkings maybe? It is the effects of air molecules bombardment around a rapidly alternating surface that I am interested in analyzing , not sparking or streamers

What in the world do you want to do this for?

400 kV and 200 kHz sounds very difficult.
Can you use a lower voltage and or a lower frequency?

Just out of curiosity, at 400 kV how are you going to be able to get close enough to the surface to view molecules bombardment?

Good Luck
Carl

400,000 volts?

Although it's not continuous, a HEI coil off a car produces like 50,000 volts...if you get hit by that your going to know it. 8 times that amperage and wow...you better be careful...

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. Discussions about DIY HV apparatus are a bit too problematic for the EE forum, IMO, because of the broad range of experience levels that folks have (it's the less experienced users that I'm concerned about).

@leviterande -- The wikipedia page on Tesla Coils should answer your questions. Please pay particular attention to the section on "High frequency electrical safety".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

Related to How to AC oscillate a HV capacitor?

What is an AC oscillating HV capacitor?

An AC oscillating HV (high voltage) capacitor is a type of capacitor that is designed to store and release electrical energy in the form of alternating current (AC). It is used in various electronic and electrical circuits to regulate the flow of AC current.

How does an AC oscillating HV capacitor work?

An AC oscillating HV capacitor works by storing electrical charges on two conductive plates that are separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric. When an AC voltage is applied, the capacitor charges and discharges in a cyclical manner, creating an oscillating current.

What are the key components of an AC oscillating HV capacitor?

The key components of an AC oscillating HV capacitor include two conductive plates, a dielectric material, and a connection for applying an AC voltage. In some cases, a third plate, known as a center tap, may also be included to improve the performance of the capacitor.

How do you calculate the capacitance of an AC oscillating HV capacitor?

The capacitance of an AC oscillating HV capacitor can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge stored on the plates in coulombs, and V is the voltage applied to the plates in volts. The capacitance also depends on the surface area of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric used.

What are the applications of AC oscillating HV capacitors?

AC oscillating HV capacitors have various applications, including in power supplies, electric motors, audio equipment, and electronic filters. They are also used in high-power circuits such as in radio transmitters, induction heating, and laser technology.

Back