How to adjust cars diagonal weight without scales?

• Thread starter chkhikvishvil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Weight
In summary, the conversation discusses the weight distribution of a car and the importance of having equal diagonal weights. The problem is that the person doesn't have access to a device that can measure the weights and is seeking alternative methods to calculate the necessary adjustments. Suggestions are made to take weight out of the heavy side of the car or use a lower tech approach to estimate the weight distribution. The conversation also mentions the impact of weight distribution on handling and the difficulty in calculating it without knowing the spring stiffness. Ultimately, the person is looking for a way to adjust the weight distribution to improve the car's performance.
chkhikvishvil
hellow everyone, this is not a homework but a real life problem

this is the weight distribution of my car , on 4 tires

[URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/chkhikvishvili/media/20130611_112304_zps58a4ee33.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w527/chkhikvishvili/20130611_112304_zps58a4ee33.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

it is very important to make the diagonal weights the same, so I want to rise the rear right side of the car which will shift the weight so that diagonals will be equal, by rising I meant that i will put something under the spring which will rise the chases

but the problem is i don't have the scales to adjust the rise, that's why i need to calculate by how many cm i need to rise rear right side, i feel that is possible to calculate :) also i am sure I must input something about the springs, how stiff they are, because I think it matters, but how can I characterize them? also i can measure the wheelbase and track width if its needed

any ideas how i can do calculations? :)

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of fiddling with the springs, it would probably be easier to take some weight out of the heavy side of the car or put some weight on the light side of the car.

I'm curious: why is it so urgent that the diagonal weights be the same? I hope you realize that the engine and transmission in your car is what makes it so heavy at the front end. There are only a few cars which have a 50:50 F/R weight distribution.

Do you mean that you don't have on-going access to the pictured device? There are lower tech approaches. With the same pressure in all tyres, estimate the area in contact with the ground. E.g. on a dry concrete surface, slosh water around then move the car and measure the dry areas.

SteamKing
yes I am happy with F/R weight distribution as it is, and you can not even change it without moving the mass inside the car, but the diagonal weights distribution it really urgent because if they are not even the car is like a table with one leg shorter then the others, it has great impact on handling, and when i brake on my car, front left and rear right tires lock up first because of that
haruspex
exactly I don't have access to that device any more :( and the method you described seems practically impossible, and tire walls are also quite stiff so there is not only the pressure that holds the weight so you can not calculate like that
On the other hand is must be mathematically calculable, given the data I have, also wheelbase and track width you can first find the center of mass, and then calculate how much you should rise the rear left side of the car so the weight would shift and you get equal weights on diagonals
but I don't know how to calculate that

chkhikvishvil said:
tire walls are also quite stiff so there is not only the pressure that holds the weight so you can not calculate like that
I'm pretty sure that if you let all the air out of the tyres they'd go a very different shape.
On the other hand is must be mathematically calculable, given the data I have,
Not that I can see. As you noted, you don't know the spring stiffness.
Another possibility is if you had some strong stiff beam you could place over a fulcrum. You could drive onto it to find the balance point of one side. Bit tricky, though.

If your brakes are locking up, you need to have them inspected and repaired if necessary. IMO, the weight imbalance from side to side, front to rear is not the cause of the lock up.

FAQ: How to adjust cars diagonal weight without scales?

1. How important is it to adjust a car's diagonal weight?

Adjusting a car's diagonal weight is crucial for maintaining balance and stability while driving. It affects the handling, steering, and overall performance of the car. Improper diagonal weight distribution can also lead to uneven tire wear and potential safety hazards.

2. What are some signs that a car's diagonal weight needs to be adjusted?

If a car is pulling to one side while driving, experiencing uneven tire wear, or feels unstable while turning, it may be a sign that the diagonal weight needs to be adjusted. It is also important to regularly check the car's suspension and ensure it is not sagging or showing signs of wear.

3. Can diagonal weight be adjusted without using scales?

Yes, diagonal weight can be adjusted without using scales, although it may not be as precise. It can be done by measuring the corner weights of the car using a jack and a set of portable scales. However, using professional scales is the most accurate and recommended method for adjusting diagonal weight.

4. What are some techniques for adjusting a car's diagonal weight without scales?

One technique is to use a set of portable scales and measure the corner weights of the car. Another method is to adjust the diagonal weight by adding or removing weight from specific areas of the car, such as the trunk or engine bay. This can be done by distributing weight evenly on each side of the car.

5. How often should a car's diagonal weight be checked and adjusted?

It is recommended to check and adjust a car's diagonal weight at least once a year or whenever the car's suspension or tires are being replaced. It is also important to regularly check the car's suspension for any signs of wear or sagging, as this can affect the diagonal weight distribution.

Back