How to apply Coulomb's law for a system with a dielectric slab?

In summary, the dielectric constant for a slab of thickness half the separation between two charges is nine times the dielectric constant for a slab of thickness the separation.
sankalpmittal

Homework Statement

Two similar point charges q1 and q2 are placed at a distance r apart in the air. A dielectric slab of thickness t(<<r) having dielectric constant K is placed between the charges. Calculate the coulomb force of repulsion between the charges.

Now assume that a slab of thickness half the separation between the charges and the Coulomb's repulsive force is reduced in the ratio 9:4. Calculate K for such a slab.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law :

F=q1q2/4πεr2

where ε=εoK

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure. For such a system how should I apply Coulomb's law ? We have a dielectric slab between the system. So how to make that law apply here ?

I just thought that I have to transform the given system to its equivalent vacuum one, but how should I do that ?

Please help !

Thanks in advance...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help me please ? I am really clueless. :(

Hi Sankalp

sankalpmittal said:
I just thought that I have to transform the given system to its equivalent vacuum one, but how should I do that ?

You have the right idea .

First convert the slab width 't' into effective air separation . Can you do that ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi Sankalp

You have the right idea .

First convert the slab width 't' into effective air separation . Can you do that ?

Thanks..

If we hypothetically bring the two charges with the separation "t", then

q1q2/4πεoKt2 = q1q2/4πεox2

Solving we get x=√(K)t

Then in the actual system, effective separation is d-t+x ? Right ?

BTW, are you an IIT aspirant ?

sankalpmittal said:
Thanks..

If we hypothetically bring the two charges with the separation "t", then

q1q2/4πεoKt2 = q1q2/4πεox2

Solving we get x=√(K)t

Correct.

sankalpmittal said:
Then in the actual system, effective separation is d-t+x ? Right ?

r-t+x

Tanya Sharma said:
Correct.
r-t+x

Ya ya... I mistyped... I always do... d for distance...

Now with this information I solved both the parts completely...

Thanks a lot ! The answer matches with the key. :)

Related to How to apply Coulomb's law for a system with a dielectric slab?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary or slow-moving electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What is an electrostatics problem?

An electrostatics problem is a scenario or situation that involves the interaction of electric charges at rest. It may involve calculating electric field strength, potential difference, or force between charged objects.

3. How do you solve an electrostatics problem?

To solve an electrostatics problem, you need to apply the principles of Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What are some common applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has various practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, inkjet printers, and photocopiers. It is also used in the production of high-voltage equipment, such as cathode ray tubes and capacitors.

5. How does electrostatics differ from electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with electric charges at rest, while electrodynamics deals with electric charges in motion. Electrodynamics includes the study of electric and magnetic fields, as well as their interactions and effects on charged particles.