How to apply ladder operators?

In summary, the total energy of a particle in a harmonic oscillator is initially 5/2. To change the energy, the lowering operator is applied 4 times followed by the raising operator once. The new total energy can be calculated by commuting ##\hat H## and ##\hat A## and then adding the result to the initial energy. The new energy will be 5/2 plus the value of ##\Delta E##, which can be found by calculating ##[\hat H, \hat A]##.
cooper607
The total energy of a particle in a harmonic oscillator is found to be 5/2
~!. To change the energy,
if i applied the lowering operator 4 times and then the raising operator 1 times successively. What
will be the new total energy?
i want the calculation please

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy is the eigenvalue of the Hamiltonian operator. So you have some state ##\phi## satisfying ##\hat H \phi = E \phi## with ##E = \tfrac52##.
For brevity let me write the ladder operators as ##\hat A## (so ##\hat A = a^\dagger a^\dagger \cdots a##); then you can work out what ##\hat H(\hat A \phi)## is by commuting it to the front, i.e. rewriting it as
$$\hat H \hat A \phi = \hat A \hat H \phi + [\hat H, \hat A] \phi = \tfrac52 \phi' + \Delta E \phi'$$
where ##\phi' = A \phi## is your new state. You can then read off your new energy ##E = \tfrac52 + \Delta E##.
The trick, of course, is calculating ##[\hat H, \hat A] ##.

FAQ: How to apply ladder operators?

1. What are ladder operators?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are a set of operators that act on the wave function of a quantum system and change its energy level by a fixed amount.

2. How do ladder operators work?

Ladder operators work by raising or lowering the energy level of a quantum system by a fixed amount. The raising operator increases the energy level, while the lowering operator decreases it. These operators are represented by mathematical expressions and can be used to calculate the energy states of a quantum system.

3. What is the significance of ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are significant in quantum mechanics because they provide a way to describe the energy levels and transitions of quantum systems. They also play a crucial role in the solution of the Schrödinger equation, which is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How do I apply ladder operators in calculations?

To apply ladder operators in calculations, you can use their mathematical expressions to manipulate the wave function of a quantum system. This allows you to determine the energy levels and transitions of the system. It is important to note that the order in which the operators are applied matters, and they must be applied in the correct sequence to obtain accurate results.

5. Can ladder operators be used for any quantum system?

Yes, ladder operators can be used for any quantum system. However, the specific expressions for the operators may vary depending on the system. It is important to understand the properties and behavior of the system in order to correctly apply ladder operators in calculations.

Back