How to approach this 2nd order linear ODE?

In summary, the given ODE can be solved by first substituting $u=\frac{dy}{dx}$ and then using an integrating factor to obtain a separable equation. After integrating twice, the general solution is given by $y(x)=\ln^2|x|-x^2+c_1\ln|x|+c_2$.
ineedhelpnow
$y''+\frac{1}{x}y'=\frac{2}{x^2}-4$

Hey. This is probably really simple but I'm stuck :p how do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would let:

\(\displaystyle u=\d{y}{x}\)

So that the ODE becomes:

\(\displaystyle u'+\frac{1}{x}u=\frac{2}{x^2}-4\)

Now, you should recognize this form...something about an integrating factor?

Since no feedback from the OP has been given for a couple of days, I am going to git-r-done. If we multiply through by $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle xu'+u=\frac{2}{x}-4x\)

Something wonderful has transpired here, for behold, the left side of the ODE may now be written as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(xu\right)=\frac{2}{x}-4x\)

Now, upon integrating through with respect to $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle ux=2\ln(x)-2x^2+c_1\)

Dividing through by $x$, we find:

\(\displaystyle u=\frac{2}{x}\ln|x|-2x+\frac{c_1}{x}\)

Back-substitute for $u$:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=\frac{2}{x}\ln|x|-2x+\frac{c_1}{x}\)

Integrating again with respect to $x$, we now obtain the general solution to the original ODE:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\ln^2|x|-x^2+c_1\ln|x|+c_2\)

FAQ: How to approach this 2nd order linear ODE?

1. What is a 2nd order linear ODE?

A 2nd order linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function, its derivatives, and its independent variable. In this type of equation, the highest derivative of the function is of order 2, and the coefficient of the highest derivative is a constant. An example of a 2nd order linear ODE is y'' + 2y' + 3y = 0.

2. How do I approach solving a 2nd order linear ODE?

The general approach to solving a 2nd order linear ODE is to first rewrite the equation in standard form, with the highest derivative isolated on one side of the equation. Then, you can use various methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or the Laplace transform to solve the equation and find the general solution.

3. What are the initial conditions for a 2nd order linear ODE?

The initial conditions for a 2nd order linear ODE are the values of the function and its first derivative at a specific point. These initial conditions are needed to find the particular solution to the equation. Without the initial conditions, the solution would only be a general solution with arbitrary constants.

4. Can a 2nd order linear ODE have more than one solution?

Yes, a 2nd order linear ODE can have more than one solution. This is because the general solution to the equation contains arbitrary constants, which can take on different values depending on the initial conditions. Each set of initial conditions will result in a different particular solution, thus giving multiple solutions to the overall equation.

5. What are the applications of 2nd order linear ODEs in science?

2nd order linear ODEs have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They can be used to model various physical phenomena such as motion, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and population dynamics. Solving these equations allows scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.