How to approximate instantaneous rate of change

In summary, In this conversation, the author found the slope of the function to be 1 and approximated the tangent line by using the equation to find a point very close to 100.
Raerin
The function for attitude vs air pressure is f(x) = 2100/x

1. Approximate the instantaneous rate of change at 100 millibars
a) Use the equation to calculate the point (100,___)

I found the y-value to be 21.

b) We need two points to calculate a slope, so to approximate the tangent line we use the equation to calculate a point very close to 100: (100.00001, ______) or (99.9999,_____)

So for the y-value are you supposed to find a number close to 21? But how do you decide what number is the most appropriate? Do you just put in any number of decimals you want?

I did 21.00001 where the slope equals 1. But, apparently slope is supposed to be -0.21. I have no idea how you come to that conclusion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To approximate the slope there you can use:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1}\)

where $x_2$ is very slightly larger than the true $x$ you are looking at and $x_1$ is slightly smaller. What do you get now?

Jameson said:
To approximate the slope there you can use:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x_2)-f(x_1)}{x_2-x_1}\)

where $x_2$ is very slightly larger than the true $x$ you are looking at and $x_1$ is slightly smaller. What do you get now?

I know that, but how do you determine the number that is slightly larger? I did:

21.00001 - 21/100.00001 - 100

This gave me a slope of 1, but the slope is supposed to be -0.21. I don't know how you get the correct answer.

Raerin said:
I know that, but how do you determine the number that is slightly larger? I did:

21.00001 - 21/100.00001 - 100

This gave me a slope of 1, but the slope is supposed to be -0.21. I don't know how you get the correct answer.

They gave these to you. 100.00001 and 99.9999. Plug those into $f(x)$ to find the numerator. What are $f(100.00001)$ and $f(99.9999)$?

For f(100.00001) I got 20.9999979
For f(99.9999) I got 21.000021

Okay, I got the answer.

So, what if they didn't give me a number? what do I do then?

Well if this is for a calculus class then you won't have to use approximations much longer as you'll be able to calculate the true instantaneous slope but if you aren't given any test values for $x$ then I would start with adding and subtracting .0001 or so and then see how that answer looks. If it doesn't seem to be close to a certain value then maybe try adding and subtracting something smaller.

Related to How to approximate instantaneous rate of change

1. What is the definition of instantaneous rate of change?

The instantaneous rate of change is the rate at which a function changes at a specific point, or instant, in time. It is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. How is the instantaneous rate of change different from average rate of change?

The average rate of change is the overall rate of change of a function over a given interval. It is calculated by finding the slope of the secant line between two points on the curve. The instantaneous rate of change, on the other hand, is the rate of change at a specific point and is represented by the slope of the tangent line.

3. What is the formula for approximating instantaneous rate of change?

The formula for approximating instantaneous rate of change is given by the derivative of the function, which is denoted by f'(x) or dy/dx. It is calculated using the limit definition of the derivative: f'(x) = lim (h->0) [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h.

4. How can I use the concept of limits to approximate instantaneous rate of change?

The concept of limits is used to calculate the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, which represents the instantaneous rate of change. By taking smaller and smaller intervals, or values of h, and calculating the slope of the secant line, we can approximate the slope of the tangent line and thus, the instantaneous rate of change.

5. Can the instantaneous rate of change be negative?

Yes, the instantaneous rate of change can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that specific point in time. It is important to note that the instantaneous rate of change can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the behavior of the function at that instant.