How to assess whether the slope is more than 45 degrees?

In summary, the skier's weight of 80kg has a vertical component of approximately 800 Newtons. The video shows a triangle with a hypotenuse corresponding to the weight, and the angle of the slope is assumed to be 45 degrees. However, the explanation is incomplete as it does not include all necessary trigonometry, specifically the cosine of the angle (45 degrees) should be weight divided by the square root of 2. Additionally, the relevant components of weight are those parallel and perpendicular to the slope, given by mg sin(θ) and mg cos(θ) respectively.
scarecrow1

Homework Statement

A 80kg skier has a force of 200 Newtons exerted on him down a slope. Assess whether the slope is less than or greater than 45 degrees.

Homework Equations

Weight = mass times acceleration due to gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

The vertical component of his weight is 800 Newton’s approximately. The video showing the problem is actually here in number 2. However the man’s solution doesn’t include all necessary trigonometry I feel.

Physics news on Phys.org
scarecrow1 said:

Homework Statement

A 80kg skier has a force of 200 Newtons exerted on him down a slope. Assess whether the slope is less than or greater than 45 degrees.

Homework Equations

Weight = mass times acceleration due to gravity

The vertical component of his weight is 800 Newton’s approximately. The video showing the problem is actually here in number 2. However the man’s solution doesn’t include all necessary trigonometry I feel.

I would say that the triangle is drawn incorrectly, and then, as you say, the trigonometry is wrong.

What needed to be asked was, "What component of the weight is parallel to the slope?"

I didn’t say that the trigonometry is wrong just that the explanation is incomplete. The cosine of the angle (45 degrees) should somehow be weight divided by square root of 2.

scarecrow1 said:
I didn’t say that the trigonometry is wrong just that the explanation is incomplete. The cosine of the angle (45 degrees) should somehow be weight divided by square root of 2.
Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said in the OP.

A triangle needs to be drawn so that its hypotenuse corresponds to the weight, mg .

Likes scarecrow1
scarecrow1 said:

The vertical component of his weight is 800 Newton’s approximately. The video showing the problem is actually here ... in number 2. However the man’s solution doesn’t include all necessary trigonometry I feel.

From what I can see in your snapshot, the triangle shown on the video is the standard 'special angle' triangle for a 45 degree angle from which we determine sin(45) = cos(45) = 1/√2.

The slope will be less than 45 degrees if the skier's given weight component parallel to the slope is less than 800 sin(45). What they seem to be showing on the video is 800 sin(45) > 200 which is the same thing.

It may be a bit misleading to refer to the "vertical component" of weight. Weight is a vertically acting force. The relevant components are those parallel and perpendicular to the slope given by mg sin(θ) and mg cos(θ) respectively. Note that the angle formed between weight vector and slope is the complement of the slope angle.

Likes scarecrow1
Thanks Neil Parker. You certainly went beyond what was explained in the video.

Related to How to assess whether the slope is more than 45 degrees?

1. How can I calculate the slope of an incline?

To calculate the slope of an incline, you will need to measure the change in elevation (rise) and the horizontal distance (run). Then, divide the rise by the run to get the slope. If the slope is greater than 45 degrees, it is considered steep.

2. Can I use a protractor to measure the slope?

No, a protractor is not the most accurate tool for measuring slope. It is better to use a digital inclinometer or a clinometer, which can give you a more precise measurement of the slope.

3. How do I determine if the slope is greater than 45 degrees?

If the slope is greater than 45 degrees, it means that for every unit of horizontal distance, the elevation rises more than one unit. You can also use a slope calculator or trigonometry to calculate the exact angle of the slope.

4. What are the dangers of walking on a slope that is greater than 45 degrees?

Walking on a slope that is greater than 45 degrees can be dangerous as it increases the risk of slipping and falling. It also requires more effort and can lead to fatigue and muscle strain.

5. How can I assess the slope before attempting to climb or hike it?

You can assess the slope by using an inclinometer or clinometer to measure the angle, or by visually estimating the steepness. It is also important to consider the terrain and any potential hazards such as loose rocks or slippery surfaces.