How to build a 3amp-min Circuit.

In summary: I don't know if I need to have a very thin sheet of quartz or there is a way to make a whole uncut crystal resonate. This is my first time working with piezo electrics and I'm pretty new to building circuits in general.In summary, Zaui is trying to build a 3 amp-min circuit to measure the magnetic field generated by a quartz oscillator. However, they are having trouble figuring out how to build a stable circuit and are seeking tips and links for generating a magnetic field of around 50V/3A. They also mention using a rehostat, but it is not suitable for the circuit and could potentially be dangerous. They are also unsure about the amount and gauge of wire needed for the circuit
xszaui
Hi,

I am trying to build a 3 amp-min circuit and measure the magnetic field generated along the wire, but having problems figuring out how to build a stable circuit.

I have a:

DC power supply (150V 3amp),
insulated copper wire
rehostat (Which I think I have a wrong one as it glows red hot when placed in the circuit, and was beginning to smell).

Any links and tips on what I could do to generate a magnetic field around 50V/3amp would be great. The above is just the setup I am imagining which may be far off. (It's maybe the most inexpensive or maybe there is a better option).

Help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Zaui

Engineering news on Phys.org
To get 3A from a 150V source, you must 50 Ohms resistance in the circuit. You did not say what gauge of wire, or how long your wire is.

for a 50 Ohms resistance you need about 50,000ft of 10ga copper (this is according to my CRC handbook of Chem & Physics)

If you are using 20ga wire it is down to 5000ft.

So how much wire do you have and what gauge is it?

And that 50 Ohm power resistor will dissipate 450 watts. This experiment sounds a bit ill-conceived, xszaui. Can you please post more details about exactly what you are trying to do, so that we can help you design the experiment to be safe and achieve your goals?

More details

Hi,

I am trying to build an exploded version of a quartz oscillator.

Pictures of something similar can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator"

However, commercial versions are always magnetically shielded or coated with metal which distorts the field making it near impossible to measure the magnetic field.

The voltage I would like to apply is 50V and 3 amp-min of DC current. The resonant output of the quartz oscillator should produce a magnetic field ('if I understand the articles correctly').

I don't know if I need to have a very thin sheet of quartz or there is a way to make a whole uncut crystal resonate. This is my first time working with piezo electrics and I'm pretty new to building circuits in general.

Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Zaui

Last edited by a moderator:
xszaui said:
Hi,

I am trying to build an exploded version of a quartz oscillator.

Pictures of something similar can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator"

However, commercial versions are always magnetically shielded or coated with metal which distorts the field making it near impossible to measure the magnetic field.
No. They are hermetically sealed for a different reason -- long-term stability of the oscillation frequency.

xszaui said:
The voltage I would like to apply is 50V and 3 amp-min of DC current. The resonant output of the quartz oscillator should produce a magnetic field ('if I understand the articles correctly').
No. There is no significant magnetic field involved in quartz crystal oscillators.

And you sure as heck don't need 50V and 3A to run a crystal oscillator. Crystal oscillators are low-power, low-voltage circuits that are used to provide a stable timebase. If you want high power oscillations, you start with a low-power crystal oscillator circuit, and then amplify the voltage waveform output from the oscillator. You don't try to build a 150W crystal oscillator.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: How to build a 3amp-min Circuit.

1. How do I determine the components needed for a 3amp-min circuit?

To determine the components needed, you will first need to calculate the total current required for your circuit. This can be done by adding up the individual currents of each component in the circuit. Once you have the total current, you can select components that can handle that amount of current, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors.

2. What is the best way to design a 3amp-min circuit?

The best way to design a 3amp-min circuit is to start with a detailed schematic diagram that shows the connections between all the components. This will help you visualize the circuit and ensure that all the components are properly connected. You can also use simulation software to test your circuit before building it.

3. How can I ensure the safety of my 3amp-min circuit?

To ensure the safety of your circuit, you should always follow proper safety precautions when working with electricity. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and using a circuit breaker or fuse to protect against overcurrent. You should also double-check all connections and use components that are rated for the amount of current in your circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a 3amp-min circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a 3amp-min circuit include using incorrect components, not properly calculating the current requirements, and not following proper wiring and soldering techniques. It is also important to double-check your circuit design and have someone else review it before building it to catch any errors.

5. Are there any tips for troubleshooting a 3amp-min circuit?

When troubleshooting a 3amp-min circuit, it is helpful to have a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. This can help you identify any faulty components or connections. You should also check for any loose connections or damaged components and refer to your schematic diagram to ensure everything is connected correctly.