How to Build a Pulse Coil for a 13,000 Gauss Magnet?

In summary, this guy is looking to build a pulse coil set up to spin a 13,00 gauss 1" diametrically magnetized magnet using 120 volt rectified dc or the highest voltage that has readily available parts and quality components. He is a layman and is having trouble figuring out how to wire it all together. There is a link to a basic set up in the post.
E town
Hi Guys,

I'm new on the forum so forgive me if this has been posted before. I'm kindly looking for some advise to build a pulse coil set up to spin a 13,00 gauss 1" diametrically magnetized magnet. I was hoping to use 120 volt rectified dc or the highest voltage that has readily available parts and quality components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
E town said:
Hi Guys,

I'm new on the forum so forgive me if this has been posted before. I'm kindly looking for some advise to build a pulse coil set up to spin a 13,00 gauss 1" diametrically magnetized magnet. I was hoping to use 120 volt rectified dc or the highest voltage that has readily available parts and quality components. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to the PF.

How does a "pulse coil" spin a cylindrical magnet? Can you show a diagram of what you are wanting to do? :smile:

E town said:
Hi Guys,

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

How does a "pulse coil" spin a cylindrical magnet? Can you show a diagram of what you are wanting to do? :smile:

It's a ring magnet on a shaft with bearings. In the most basic setup I could use is a drive coil a transistor and a trigger coil, but I was hoping to use a drive coil timed with a mechanical/infrared sensor. All that being said I am a layman and am having trouble figuring wire size # of turns and components required. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics from my library now. Thanks again!

E town said:
It's a ring magnet on a shaft with bearings. In the most basic setup I could use is a drive coil a transistor and a trigger coil, but I was hoping to use a drive coil timed with a mechanical/infrared sensor. All that being said I am a layman and am having trouble figuring wire size # of turns and components required. I'm trying to figure out how to upload pics from my library now. Thanks again!
Yeah, the UPLOAD button is in the lower right of the Reply dialog box.

Or you could find some similar images using Google Images and post links to those... :smile:

E town said:
Hi Guys,

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

It's a ring magnet on a shaft with bearings. In the most basic setup I could use a drive coil a transistor and a trigger coil, but I was hoping to use a drive coil timed with a mechanical/infrared sensor. I can draw something up to show you what I'm thinking. All that being said I am a layman and am having trouble figuring wire size # of turns and components required.
berkeman said:
Yeah, the UPLOAD button is in the lower right of the Reply dialog box.

Or you could find some similar images using Google Images and post links to those... :smile:
image.jpeg
Here is the most basic set up. As I said earlier I'm trying to figure out anything even to get me close as far as number of winds and wire size required. By the nice stand up wheelie! Lol

So you're making some sort of motor? What's a ring magnet?

E town said:
nice stand up wheelie!
:smile:

I've removed the link to the video .

These motors seem to have come to the attention of the crackpot community on the web and there are many claims of the 'regeneration' of more power than has been put in .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
I've removed the link to the video .

These motors seem to have come to the attention of the crackpot community on the web and there are many claims of the 'regeneration' of more power than has been put in .
Well... If you consider Nikola Tesla to be a crack pot.

Related to How to Build a Pulse Coil for a 13,000 Gauss Magnet?

1. What is a pulse coil?

A pulse coil is an electrical component that generates high voltage, short-duration pulses of electricity. It typically consists of a wire wound around a core, such as iron or ferrite, and is used in various electronic devices and experiments.

2. Why would I need help to build a pulse coil?

Building a pulse coil can be a complex and technical process, especially for those who are not familiar with electronics or have little experience with building circuits. Seeking help can ensure that the coil is built correctly and safely.

3. What materials do I need to build a pulse coil?

The materials needed to build a pulse coil can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the coil. However, some common materials include a core (such as iron or ferrite), insulated wire, a power source, and various electronic components for controlling the pulse frequency and duration.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a pulse coil?

Yes, building a pulse coil involves working with high voltage electricity, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and to follow proper handling and assembly techniques to prevent injury.

5. What are some common applications of pulse coils?

Pulse coils are used in a variety of applications, such as in medical equipment, industrial machinery, and scientific experiments. They are often used to generate high voltage for purposes like powering laser systems, igniting gas engines, and creating electromagnetic fields for research purposes.