How to Calculate Acceleration in a System with Two Blocks and a Pulley

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 1 kg on a table with a coefficient of friction of 0.77, connected to a block of mass 3 kg through a string passing over a pulley. The pulley is a uniform disk with a mass of 0.7 kg and a radius of 15 cm. The mass m3 falls without the string slipping on the pulley. The problem asks for the acceleration of m3. To solve, the sum of forces on m1 and m3 are calculated, as well as the sum of torque on the pulley. The final equation involves solving for the difference in tensions in the rope on either side of the pulley.
huskydc
A block of mass m1 = 1 kg rests on a table with which it has a coefficient of friction µ = 0.77. A string attached to the block passes over a pulley to a block of mass m3 = 3 kg. The pulley is a uniform disk of mass m2 = 0.7 kg and radius 15 cm. As the mass m3 falls, the string does not slip on the pulley.

With what acceleration does the mass m3 fall?

i did the following:

[A]sum of Force on mass 1: T(1) - f = m(1) a
thus, T(1) = m(1)a + mu*m(1)g

sum of torque on mass 2: RT(3) = I *alpha

[C]sum of forces on mass 3: m(3)a = m(3)g - T(3)
thus, T(3) = m(3)g - m(3)a

and since alpha = a/R and I = .5 m(2) R^2

I plug in equatiion for T(3) into , and got something like this:

R m(3) g
------------------- =a
.5 m(2) R + R m(3)

and plug in numbers, didn't work out...any hints?

Attachments

• showme.gif
    showme.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is in .

The torque on m2 results from the difference in tensions in the rope on either side of the pulley.
That torque should be (T3 - T1)R

i got it, thanks!

Related to How to Calculate Acceleration in a System with Two Blocks and a Pulley

1. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that fits into the groove. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the pulley can lift or move a load at the other end of the rope. This makes it easier to lift heavy objects by spreading the weight over a larger distance.

2. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. A movable pulley is attached to the load being lifted and moves with it, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

3. How does a pulley affect the amount of force needed to lift an object?

A pulley can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. The more pulleys that are used, the less force is needed to lift the load.

4. What is the mechanical advantage of using a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is the ratio of the output force to the input force. For example, if a pulley system has a mechanical advantage of 2, it means that the output force is twice the input force, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

5. How does friction affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

Friction can reduce the efficiency of a pulley system by converting some of the input force into heat, rather than lifting the load. To minimize the effects of friction, lubrication can be applied to the moving parts of the pulley system.