How to Calculate Acceleration, Time, and Tension in an Atwood Machine Problem

• Thread starter K1rby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atwood
In summary, the Atwood machine will have an acceleration of 9.81 meters per second, it will take 8.04 seconds to cover the 0.45 meter distance, and the tension in the string will be 12 grams.
K1rby

Homework Statement

"Calculate the acceleration of an Atwood machine if one of the two weights is four times as heavy as the other. What is the tension in the string if the lighter body has a mass of 3kg? Find also the time for this mass to cover a distance of 0.45 meter."

So:

*Given:
m1=3kg (the lighter one)
m2=12kg(?) (four times heavier)
d=0.45m

*Find:
1)acceleration
2)time
3)tension

Homework Equations

I'm a little confused about this. First the formula for acceleration is F=ma--> a=F/m. But there are few things missing to complete it. Time meanwhile, I'm clueless on how to find it since there are quite a number of formulas to find time such as d=vt--> t=d/v but there aren't anything given about v. Tension meanwhile, is not that much of a problem for me.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I first tried solving for the acceleration. a=F/m. But there aren't any given about force. Meanwhile, a=dt^2. But d I think is displacement which is different from the other given d of mine which is distance. Second I solved for time. I've tried all formulas I know for solving time but then still won't work.

I need a little assistance about these. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to study Free Body Diagrams, Newton's laws , and the kinematic equations of motion for constant acceleration. First off, it's not F=ma, it's F_net= ma. F_net must be determined by drawing free body diagrams of each mass. For example, looking at the larger mass, its weight acts down and the tension acts up. Since the heavier mass is accelerating downwards, then F_net = mg-T =12g -T, and thus
12g-T =12a, per Newton 2. Now look at the lighter block and proceed in similar fashion, noting that tension on either side of an ideal pulley must be the same, and the magnitude of a must be the same. Then solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns. Then the time is not found by using d=vt...look up (and learn) the correct equation of motion for constant acceleration that relates distance with time and acceleration.
Welcome to PF!

Thanks! I finally got it out of a number of tries and attempts.

Again, thanks a lot!

Related to How to Calculate Acceleration, Time, and Tension in an Atwood Machine Problem

What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate concepts of classical mechanics, such as acceleration, force, and energy.

What is the purpose of an Atwood Machine?

The purpose of an Atwood Machine is to study the relationship between the masses, the tension in the string, and the acceleration of the system. It is also used to demonstrate the conservation of energy and the principle of action and reaction.

What are the basic components of an Atwood Machine?

The basic components of an Atwood Machine include two masses of different values, a string or rope, and a pulley. The string is usually attached to the pulley and then wrapped around it, and the masses are hung on either side of the pulley.

How does an Atwood Machine work?

An Atwood Machine works by utilizing the force of gravity to create a difference in the tensions of the string on either side of the pulley. This causes the masses to accelerate towards each other, and the difference in their masses determines the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

What are some real-world applications of Atwood Machines?

Atwood Machines have various real-world applications, including elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. They are also used in physics experiments and demonstrations to illustrate concepts in classical mechanics, such as pulley systems, inertia, and equilibrium.