How to Calculate Angular Momentum ?

In summary, You and your friend are on a ship that can withstand 120 knot winds. You measure the winds outside to be 30 knots and your position is 60 nautical miles from the center of a hurricane with a 20 nautical mile diameter eye. You are trying to find the angular momentum of the hurricane and determine if your ship can withstand it. The formula to use is AM = M x V x R and you have correctly set it up as 30 x 60 = v2 x 20. However, the computation is incorrect and it is not clear if conservation of angular momentum can be applied in this scenario.
chrisman10

Homework Statement

You and your best friend are at sea on your ship. Your
ship is designed to withstand seas during 120 knot winds. You measure the winds
outside your ship at 30 knots. From satellite images and Global Positioning System
(GPS) data, you pinpoint your position at 60 nautical miles from the centre of a
hurricane. The satellite image shows that the eye of the hurricane hasn't changed
position in hours and that the diameter of the eye is 20 nautical miles.

Homework Equations

AM= M X V X R

The Attempt at a Solution

30*60 = v2 * 20
v2=60

I'm kinda lost on what to do beyond this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not stated what you are supposed to find.

I am suppose to find angular momentum from the above data.

Angular momentum of what with respect to what?

Angular momtemum of the hurricane and see if my ship could withstand angular momentum of the hurricane.

I am not completely sure you could apply conservation of angular momentum here, but assuming you can, the formula you have is correct. But the computation is not.

Related to How to Calculate Angular Momentum ?

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of an object.

What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, while linear momentum is a measure of the linear motion of an object. Angular momentum takes into account the mass and rotational velocity of an object, while linear momentum takes into account the mass and linear velocity of an object.

What are the units of angular momentum?

The units of angular momentum are kilogram meters squared per second (kg m^2/s).

How can angular momentum be conserved?

Angular momentum can be conserved by maintaining a constant moment of inertia and angular velocity, or by applying external torques that cancel each other out.