How to Calculate Average Acceleration in a Fall?

In summary, The question is asking for the magnitude of the average acceleration of a woman who fell 112 ft and landed on a metal ventilator box, crushing it to a depth of 24 in. She only suffered minor injuries. To calculate this, you can use the equation average acceleration = (delta v) / (delta t) and express delta t in terms of delta v and the distance. You can also use kinematic relationships that directly relate speed, distance, and acceleration.
Melchior25
So here is the question I'm stuck on.

A woman is reported to have fallen 112 ft from a building, landing on a metal ventilator box, which she crushed to a depth of 24 in. She suffered only minor injuries.

Calculate the magnitude of her average acceleration while in contact with the box.

I know average accel. = (delta v) / (delta t)

I calculated the speed of the woman just before she collided with the box to be 84.664 ft/s.

Although I'm a bit lost on how to calculate the avg. acceleration because I'm not sure what equation I should use to calculate (t).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expressing delta t in terms of delta v and the distance.

(You can also take advantage of kinematic relationships that directly relate speed, distance, and acceleration.)

I would first start by identifying the known values in this situation. We know that the woman fell 112 ft and landed on a metal ventilator box, crushing it to a depth of 24 in. We also know that she suffered only minor injuries.

To calculate the average acceleration, we need to use the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

We have already calculated the final velocity to be 84.664 ft/s, and we can assume that the initial velocity was 0 ft/s since the woman was falling. Therefore, our equation becomes a = (84.664 ft/s - 0 ft/s) / t.

To calculate t, we can use the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement (in this case, 112 ft), u is the initial velocity (0 ft/s), and a is the acceleration (which we are trying to find). Rearranging this equation, we get t = √(2s/a).

Plugging in our known values, we get t = √(2 * 112 ft / a).

Now, we can substitute this value of t into our original equation for average acceleration: a = (84.664 ft/s - 0 ft/s) / √(2 * 112 ft / a).

Simplifying, we get a = 84.664 ft/s / √(224 ft/a).

To find the magnitude of the average acceleration, we can take the absolute value of this equation, since acceleration is a vector quantity. Therefore, the magnitude of the average acceleration is |a| = 84.664 ft/s / √(224 ft/a).

Using a calculator, we can solve for a and find that the magnitude of the average acceleration is approximately 30.023 ft/s^2.

This means that the woman experienced an average acceleration of 30.023 ft/s^2 while in contact with the metal ventilator box. This value is relatively high, which could explain why she suffered minor injuries despite falling from a significant height.

FAQ: How to Calculate Average Acceleration in a Fall?

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the entire motion, while instantaneous acceleration only looks at one specific point.

What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do you measure average acceleration?

Average acceleration can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a stopwatch, motion sensors, or video analysis. The change in velocity and time can be recorded and then used to calculate the average acceleration using the formula.

What are the units for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

Back