How to calculate Battery run-time?

In summary, the voltage of the battery in the UPS is 24V and the battery has a capacity of 1500Ah. The UPS can supply a PC for 240 hours.
Artahir
I can't get my head around question about energy consumption, energy supply and run-time. I think I forgot (Im sure I forgot) something in my equation. I am trying to find a way to calculate for how long could UPS supply my PC I don't know why I can't find Amp-hours of UPC on it but let's assume it's 1500Ah and my PC consumption is 150W. I tried to do some digging first I found some explanations but none of them made sense to me I feel like it can't be so complicated. Or when I found easier equations it didn't make sense (the result). could anyone give me answer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What voltage is the battery in the UPS? If it is 24V, 1500Ah you have a raw capacity of 24⋅1500Wh=36kWh. Divide by 150W and you get 240h.

This is just a coarse calculation, assume at least 10% less going from theory to practice.

Svein said:
What voltage is the battery in the UPS? If it is 24V, 1500Ah you have a raw capacity of 24⋅1500Wh=36kWh. Divide by 150W and you get 240h.

This is just a coarse calculation, assume at least 10% less going from theory to practice.
Exactly this is my calculation which I tried based on my logical assumption. but I used Voltage 230 AC for my desk PC and it doesn't make sense because if you add Voltage it means more hours and with 230 Iam around 2k hours which is stupid right?

You need volt-amp-hours, not amp-hours. An APC 1500 (retail $400, so you know where that fits in their product line) stores 220 V-A-hours. (792 kJ in SI) That has the energy needed to run a 150 W device for 88 minutes: 720,000 kJ / 150 W = 5280s = 88 minutes. This is an absolute upper limit: you don't have perfect efficiency, and you can't get the last bit of charge out of the battery. APC claims 50 minutes for that load.

Likes davenn
Watch out for Watts versus Volt-Amps. Consumer Battery Backup devices are advertised in VAs not Watts. Usually the Power Factor is 0.6 but some of the off-brand ones use a Power factor as low as 0.4. So a 1500VA rating could be anywhere between 900W and 600W; that is the level that the overload shutdown is set for. Also, many modern computer power supplies have Power Factor Correction built-in to keep their power factor high, 0.8 to 0.95. That being the case, the actual runtime could be only 1/2 of the 'computed' runtime. And no-load losses of Battery Backup also seem to be significant but I haven't measured them.

FAQ: How to calculate Battery run-time?

1. How do I calculate the run-time of a battery?

To calculate the run-time of a battery, you will need to know the battery's capacity (in ampere-hours) and the current draw of the device (in amperes). The run-time can be calculated by dividing the battery's capacity by the current draw. For example, a battery with a capacity of 10 ampere-hours and a device with a current draw of 2 amperes will have a run-time of 5 hours (10 Ah / 2 A = 5 hours).

2. Can I use the voltage of a battery to calculate its run-time?

No, the voltage of a battery cannot be used to calculate its run-time. The run-time is dependent on the battery's capacity and the current draw of the device. The voltage of a battery only indicates its potential to provide power.

3. How does the current draw of a device affect the battery run-time?

The higher the current draw of a device, the shorter the battery run-time will be. This is because a higher current draw will drain the battery's capacity at a faster rate. It is important to consider the current draw when selecting a battery for a device to ensure it can provide enough power for the desired run-time.

4. Does the type of battery affect the run-time?

Yes, the type of battery can affect the run-time. Different types of batteries have different capacities and discharge rates, which can impact the run-time. For example, a lithium-ion battery typically has a higher capacity and longer run-time compared to an alkaline battery.

5. How accurate are run-time calculations for batteries?

The accuracy of run-time calculations for batteries can vary depending on factors such as temperature, age of the battery, and the device's power management. It is important to note that run-time calculations are estimates and may not always be exact. It is best to test the battery's performance in real-life conditions for a more accurate assessment of its run-time.