How to Calculate Bond Distance in OCS Molecules?

In summary, two molecules of OCS with atomic weights of 32 amu and 34 amu have values of h/8π2I of 6081.490E6 [1/s] and 5932.816E6 [1/s], respectively. The task is to calculate the C-O and C-S bond distance using the equation h/8π2I. The attempt at a solution involved equating h/8π2I with the given values, but the final answer did not match the textbook's answer. To determine the error, it would be helpful to see the work and the textbook's final answer.
fricke

Homework Statement

Two molecules of OCS (atomic weigh of S is 32 amu and the other one is 34 amu) have values of h/8π2I of 6081.490E6 [1/s] and 5932.816E6 [1/s], respectively. Calculate the C-O and C-S bond distance. (Note that I is moment of inertia)

Homework Equations

h/8π2I

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by equating h/8π2I with the given value to find the bond distance. But my answers are apparently wrong (The textbook gives the final answer).

Physics news on Phys.org
fricke said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this by equating h/8π2I with the given value to find the bond distance. But my answers are apparently wrong (The textbook gives the final answer).
It is impossible to tell what went wrong if you don't show your work.
If the book gives a different final answer, it would also be interesting to see that.

Related to How to Calculate Bond Distance in OCS Molecules?

1. What is the concept behind bond distance in quantum mechanics?

Bond distance is the average distance between two atoms that are bonded to each other. In quantum mechanics, it is determined by the balance between attractive and repulsive forces between the atoms.

2. How is bond distance related to bond strength?

Bond distance and bond strength are inversely related. This means that as the bond distance decreases, the bond strength increases, and vice versa. This is because a shorter bond distance means the atoms are held closer together, resulting in a stronger bond.

3. How does bond distance affect the energy of a molecule?

Bond distance plays a crucial role in determining the energy of a molecule. As the bond distance changes, the energy of the molecule also changes. In general, shorter bond distances result in lower energy levels, while longer bond distances lead to higher energy levels.

4. Can bond distance be measured experimentally?

Yes, bond distance can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as X-ray crystallography, spectroscopy, and electron diffraction. These methods allow scientists to determine the exact distance between atoms in a molecule.

5. How does bond distance differ in different types of chemical bonds?

The bond distance can vary depending on the type of chemical bond. For example, single bonds have longer bond distances compared to double or triple bonds. This is because multiple bonds involve more shared electrons and stronger attractive forces between atoms, leading to a shorter bond distance.