How to Calculate Distance Traveled with Velocity Function

• MHB
  • Thread starter alane1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Displacement
In summary, the function v(t) = 15\cos{3t}, 0 \leq t \leq 2\pi, is the velocity of a particle moving along the x-axis. The displacement is found by taking the integral of the velocity over the given time interval, and the distance traveled is found by multiplying this displacement by the time interval.
alane1994
Here is my question.

The function [tex]v(t)=15\cos{3t}[/tex], [tex] 0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi[/tex], is the velocity in m/sec of a particle moving along the x-axis. Complete parts (a) through (c).

a.Graph the velocity function over the given interval. then determine when the motion is in the positive direction and when it is in the negative direction.
(I have done this part)
b. Find the displacement over the given interval.
(I have done this part)
c. Find the distance traveled over the given interval.
(This is the part that I am fuzzy on)

For this, does it involve previously found information? Or is it a separate set of calculations all its own?
Any help is appreciated!

~Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
Displacement is the integral of the velocity vector over the given time interval and results in the distance between the starting point and end point. If you move 10 meters north and 10 meters south, the displacement is 0.

To find the distance you need to figure out where the displacement is negative and count that as a positive value. I believe this is the same as taking the integral of the absolute value of velocity. The way I would do this is find the regions where v(t) is positive and negative and then breaking the calculation into multiple calculations.

When considering \(\displaystyle v(t)=15\cos{3t}\) where \(\displaystyle 0 \le t \le 2\pi\) at $t=0$ v(t) is positive and becomes negative when \(\displaystyle 3t=\frac{\pi}{2}\) so when \(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{6}\).

So your first integral is \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{6}}v(t)dt\) This value will be positive.

Now v(t) will be negative until until it touches the x-axis again where \(\displaystyle 3t=\frac{3\pi}{2}\) or when \(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{2}\). The second integral is now \(\displaystyle \int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}v(t)dt\). This will be negative but when considering distance you don't need to take into account the sign of this so count it as positive.

If you keep repeating this over until the end of the interval you should get the final answer. It will take a while to calculate this way and there very well could be a quicker way to do it but that's how I would do this.

Yeah, that's what I did after consulting a professor, I got the answer 60...

alane1994 said:
Yeah, that's what I did after consulting a professor, I got the answer 60...

You already found all of these intervals for part A so this calculation shouldn't have been too tedious. Wow your professor responds fast. You posted this question just a couple of hours ago :)

Just to put my two cents in...

The formula for distance is
[tex]dist = \int |v|dt[/tex]

where v is the velocity vector.

In a practical sense this can pretty much only be calculated in the way Jameson has described.

-Dan

FAQ: How to Calculate Distance Traveled with Velocity Function

1. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is the straight line distance between an object's starting and ending point, while distance is the total amount of ground an object has covered regardless of direction.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement can be calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. This gives the magnitude and direction of the displacement vector.

3. Can displacement ever be greater than distance?

No, displacement can never be greater than distance. Since displacement is the shortest distance between two points, it will always be equal to or less than the total distance traveled.

4. How is displacement represented graphically?

Displacement can be represented graphically as an arrow pointing from the starting position to the ending position of an object. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of displacement and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of displacement.

5. What are some real-world examples of displacement and distance?

A car driving from one city to another has a displacement equal to the straight line distance between the two cities, but the distance traveled will be longer due to the curves of the road. Similarly, a pendulum swinging back and forth has a displacement of zero, but it will cover a distance equal to the length of the pendulum's path.

Back