How to Calculate Electric Field and Potential at a Triangle Midpoint?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric field and potential at a point M due to three ions located at the corners of an equilateral triangle. The magnitude and direction of the electric field are calculated using the symbols e and r, with a specific value for r. The electric potential is expressed as a scalar size and is the sum of all sources contributions. To solve the problem, one must calculate the field and potential for each individual ion and then add the vectors for the field and scalars for the potential. To understand the concept better, it is recommended to practice vector addition before attempting the problem.
besnik93

Homework Statement

Three ions, each with a charge Q = e, located at the corners of an equilateral triangle with
side length r midpoint of one of the sides of the triangle described M.

a) Calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric field E of the three ions generated at point M.
Size E is expressed by the symbols e and r addition, the value of E is calculated when
r=1,2*10-10m

b) Calculate the electric potential V at point M. Size V must be expressed by the symbols e and r
In addition, the value of V is calculated as r=1,2*10-10m.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that the electric field is a vector which is the vector sum of all the sources contribution, but I find it hard to express it.
b) I know that the potential is a scalar size (ie without direction) whose value is the sum of all sources contributions.

Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the field due to each individual ion (can you do that?) and add the vectors. do the same for the potential which is easier since at the end you have a scalar addition.

I don't know how to add the vectors?

besnik93 said:
I don't know how to add the vectors?

Than you have to go back to basics, practice vector addition, before attempting that problem.

How can it become vectors, i don't understand it

besnik93 said:
How can it become vectors, i don't understand it

And I don't understand your question. What is that "it" you're talking about? nothing becomes vectors. The electric field IS always a vector and the potential is never a vector.

Related to How to Calculate Electric Field and Potential at a Triangle Midpoint?

1. What is the difference between size and potential?

Size refers to the physical dimensions or magnitude of an object or quantity, while potential refers to the possibility or likelihood for something to happen or develop.

2. How is direction related to size and potential?

Direction is the orientation or path of movement of an object or force. It is related to size and potential as it determines the magnitude and impact of these factors.

3. How do scientists measure size and direction?

Scientists use various tools and techniques such as rulers, measuring tapes, protractors, and compasses to measure size and direction. They also use mathematical calculations and models to accurately determine these factors.

4. What is the role of size, direction, and potential in scientific research?

Size, direction, and potential are important factors in scientific research as they help scientists understand and predict the behavior of objects and forces. These factors are crucial in creating models and theories that explain natural phenomena.

5. Can size, direction, and potential change over time?

Yes, size, direction, and potential can change over time due to various factors such as growth, movement, and external influences. Scientists must consider these changes when conducting research and making predictions.

Back