How to Calculate Energy Flux in Traveling Waves with Different Densities?

In summary, the power in a wave is proportional to the amplitude, frequency, and density of the medium.
diracdelta

Homework Statement

Two threads, both having linear density μ1 and μ2 are connected and tensed with tension T.
a) If traveling wave enters onto their junction, find ratios of amplitudes of reflected and input wave, transmitted and input wave, for μ21= 0, 1/4, 1, 4 and infinity
b)
Show that energy flow of input wave is equal to sum of reflected and transmitted wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

As for part a, it is easy.
We have three waves;
Ψin = A cos (ωt - kz)
ψTr = T*A cos (wt -k2z)
ψRef = R*A cos (wt + kz)

R= (Z1-Z2)/(Z1+Z2), T= 1+ R
Z=(T0*μ)1/2
-> R=[(T01)1/2-(T02)1/2]/[(T01)1/2+(T02)1/2]=...=[(1-(μ21)1/2]/[(1+(μ21)1/2].
It is trivial to find those values now.

As for part b)
"The mean energy flux is
eimg332.gif
, also written as
eimg333.gif
and called I, the intensity. For a traveling wave,
eimg335.gif
"
quoted from (http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/EnergyFlux.html)
while i assume, U is potential energy.
So basicly, I need to find flux for those three waves, and prove statement.
How to find mean of U as for traveling waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure of the exact formula, but for this question you only need to understand how the power in a wave depends on amplitude, frequency and density of medium. Consider a small element of length dx. Mass = ##\rho dx##. If its motion is given by ##y = A \sin(\omega t)##, what is its velocity at time t? What is its KE at time t? What is its average KE over time?
Once you have that, figure out the power per unit length in each of the three waves.

Velocity is derivative of y in respect to t -> v =dy/dt= wAcos(wt)
Kinetic energy is is 1/2 ρdx (dy/dt), so average is integral of that expression = .. = 1/4 ρ*A2*w2
(we loose cosine because average of cos squared is 1/2)

diracdelta said:
Velocity is derivative of y in respect to t -> v =dy/dt= wAcos(wt)
Kinetic energy is is 1/2 ρdx (dy/dt), so average is integral of that expression = .. = 1/4 ρ*A2*w2
(we loose cosine because average of cos squared is 1/2)
Good. Now, in the present case, w is the same for all three waves, so we can leave that out, and the 1/4, and get that it is k ρA2 for some constant k.
Substitute in the values of density and amplitude for each of the three waves. Do the transmitted and reflected power add up to the power of the incoming wave?

I agree. But they don't add up :/

diracdelta said:
I agree. But they don't add up :/
Please post your working.

I got it ;)
Finally.
Thank you very much :)

FAQ: How to Calculate Energy Flux in Traveling Waves with Different Densities?

1. What is energy flux in traveling waves?

Energy flux in traveling waves refers to the rate at which energy is transferred through a medium as a wave travels through it. It is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a given area over a certain amount of time.

2. How is energy flux related to wave speed?

The energy flux in a traveling wave is directly proportional to the wave speed. This means that as the speed of the wave increases, so does the rate at which energy is transferred through the medium.

3. What factors affect the energy flux in traveling waves?

The energy flux in traveling waves is affected by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave, the density of the medium, and the frequency of the wave. Additionally, the direction of the wave's motion and the medium's properties, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the energy flux.

4. How is energy flux different from wave intensity?

Energy flux and wave intensity are closely related, but they are not the same. Wave intensity is a measure of the energy carried by a wave per unit area, while energy flux is the rate at which energy is transferred through a specific area. In other words, energy flux takes into account the area over which the wave is spreading, while intensity does not.

5. How can energy flux be calculated in a traveling wave?

The energy flux in a traveling wave can be calculated by multiplying the amplitude squared by the wave speed and the density of the medium. This can also be expressed as the product of the wave's power and the distance traveled by the wave in a given amount of time. The formula for energy flux is F = ρvA², where F is the energy flux, ρ is the density of the medium, v is the wave speed, and A is the amplitude of the wave.

Back