How to Calculate Energy for Atmospheric Molecule Reaction and Isolate Gases?

In summary: The atmosphere consists of two toxic, and unfortunately abundant gases in our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide and methane. Carbon dioxide produced by factories are not needed in the atmosphere and cause harm. So is methane. Acegikmoqsuwy and I thought of an equation to solve this problem: CH4 + CO2 --> 2H2O + C2 . The part of this equation that needs some fixing is the first side. How do you calculate the energy required for this reaction? How do you isolate the gases in the atmosphere? I would be glad to get generous responses.In summary, the equation suggests that you would need to combine carbon dioxide and methane together in order to create water and carbon dioxide. This reaction would require
aaa16797
The atmosphere consists of two toxic, and unfortunately abundant gases in our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide and methane. Carbon dioxide produced by factories are not needed in the atmosphere and cause harm. So is methane. Acegikmoqsuwy and I thought of an equation to solve this problem: CH4 + CO2 --> 2H2O + C2 . The part of this equation that needs some fixing is the first side. How do you calculate the energy required for this reaction? How do you isolate the gases in the atmosphere? I would be glad to get generous responses.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
aaa16797 said:
The atmosphere consists of two toxic, and unfortunately abundant gases in our atmosphere. Carbon dioxide and methane. Carbon dioxide produced by factories are not needed in the atmosphere and cause harm. So is methane. Acegikmoqsuwy and I thought of an equation to solve this problem: CH4 + CO2 --> 2H2O + C2 . The part of this equation that needs some fixing is the first side. How do you calculate the energy required for this reaction? How do you isolate the gases in the atmosphere? I would be glad to get generous responses.
Do you know the relative concentrations of methane and CO2 in the atmosphere? Look them up, and then tell us whether you think that the reaction you suggest, if it could actually occur, would be effective. Do you think that the reaction you suggested would be favored thermodynamically, so that it would go nearly to completion?

You mentioned that methane is produced in factories. What fraction of the methane release to the atmosphere is produced in factories?

Neither carbon dioxide nor methane are toxic.

DrClaude said:
Neither carbon dioxide nor methane are toxic.
I wouldn't go that far.

It's true that breathing CO2and CH4 in the concentrations in which they are found in the atmosphere won't cause harm.

However, if one is exposed to an isolated atmosphere in which the concentration of CO2 is elevated, eventually the amount of CO2 in the bloodstream rises and makes the blood more acidic. This change in the blood gases can eventually cause convulsions and death if the concentration of CO2 is not lowered. That's why places where isolated atmospheres occur, like submarines or spacecraft , are equipped with chemicals to absorb CO2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia

Of course, if an atmosphere contains only CO2 or CH4 and little or no oxygen, asphyxiation will result.

The OP apparently doesn't realize that some CO2 in the atmosphere is needed, lest all the plants die.

SteamKing said:
I wouldn't go that far.
Point taken. But both CO2 and methane have very low toxicity.

I was primarily annoyed by the OP describing them as toxic while the main problem they can cause in the atmosphere is global warming.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to How to Calculate Energy for Atmospheric Molecule Reaction and Isolate Gases?

1. What is an atmospheric molecule reaction?

An atmospheric molecule reaction is a chemical process that occurs in the Earth's atmosphere between different molecules, such as oxygen, nitrogen, and water vapor. These reactions are important for maintaining the balance of gases in the atmosphere and can have significant impacts on climate and air quality.

2. How do atmospheric molecule reactions occur?

Atmospheric molecule reactions can occur through a variety of mechanisms, including photochemical reactions driven by sunlight, reactions with other atmospheric components, and reactions catalyzed by particles in the air. The specific reactions that take place depend on the types of molecules present in the atmosphere and the environmental conditions.

3. Why are atmospheric molecule reactions important?

Atmospheric molecule reactions play a crucial role in regulating the composition of the Earth's atmosphere. They help to remove harmful pollutants and greenhouse gases, as well as create new compounds that can impact air quality and climate. These reactions also influence the formation of clouds and precipitation, which are important for the water cycle.

4. What factors can influence atmospheric molecule reactions?

Several factors can influence atmospheric molecule reactions, including temperature, pressure, humidity, and the presence of other molecules or particles. Additionally, the intensity and wavelength of sunlight can also impact the rate and type of reactions that occur in the atmosphere.

5. How do scientists study atmospheric molecule reactions?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study atmospheric molecule reactions, including laboratory experiments, field observations, and computer simulations. These techniques allow researchers to understand the chemical processes that occur in the atmosphere and how they may be affected by changes in the environment. This information is important for predicting and mitigating the impacts of atmospheric molecule reactions on the Earth system.