How to Calculate Final Volume and Pressure in Isothermal Process"

In summary: Hi Andrew,Thank you very much for the pointer, i was slowly coming to that conclusion i think once i knuckled down and did some revision. Now i can hopefully conquer the rest of the question.Ill post any issues i have, but hopefully ill get there under my own steam. Best way to learn right!Cheers,Dan
mrmonkah
Hey all,

If i have an isothermal process of an ideal monotomic gas, IE. deltaT = 0 and i have an initial volume (V1) and an initial pressure (P1). Then I am given the work done BY the gas (W = -### as it is the environment providing the energy)

How do i calculate the final volume and the final pressure? I've been toying with different equations of state and like the look of w = nRT ln(V2/V1)... it is probably just my algebra that needs to improve in order for me to re-arrange for V2... am i on the right track?

Cheers in advance.

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
P1V1=nRT

so you have W=P1V1ln(V2/V1)

you can get V2 now I believe.

mrmonkah said:
Hey all,

If i have an isothermal process of an ideal monotomic gas, IE. deltaT = 0 and i have an initial volume (V1) and an initial pressure (P1). Then I am given the work done BY the gas (W = -### as it is the environment providing the energy)

How do i calculate the final volume and the final pressure? I've been toying with different equations of state and like the look of w = nRT ln(V2/V1)... it is probably just my algebra that needs to improve in order for me to re-arrange for V2... am i on the right track?

Cheers in advance.

Dan
If you are given the work, you can find the volume change using:

[tex]W= \int PdV = nRT\int dV/V = nRTln(V2/V1)[/tex]

as you have suggested. I am not sure why you are hesitating or unsure.

AM

okay cool, so the equation i have is right, I am just un-sure about re-arranging for V2 now, what with the ln(v2/v1) business... am i right in thinking that i can take ln(v2) - ln(v1) as being equal to ln(v2/v1)?

Like i say its my calculus/algebra that is poor at the moment.

mrmonkah said:
okay cool, so the equation i have is right, I am just un-sure about re-arranging for V2 now, what with the ln(v2/v1) business... am i right in thinking that i can take ln(v2) - ln(v1) as being equal to ln(v2/v1)?

Like i say its my calculus/algebra that is poor at the moment.
You don't need to do that. Just take the anti-log of both sides:

[tex]e^{W/nRT} = \frac{V_2}{V_1}[/tex]

You are given W, and nRT so this is just a matter doing the algebra to calculate V2

AM

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for the pointer, i was slowly coming to that conclusion i think once i knuckled down and did some revision. Now i can hopefully conquer the rest of the question.

Ill post any issues i have, but hopefully ill get there under my own steam. Best way to learn right!

Cheers,

Dan

FAQ: How to Calculate Final Volume and Pressure in Isothermal Process"

1. What is an isothermal process?

An isothermal process is a thermodynamic process in which the temperature remains constant throughout the process. This means that the system experiences no change in internal energy.

2. Why is an isothermal process important?

An isothermal process is important because it allows for the transfer of heat without changing the temperature. This makes it useful in many industrial processes, such as refrigeration and gas compression.

3. How is an isothermal process different from an adiabatic process?

An isothermal process involves constant temperature, while an adiabatic process involves no heat transfer. In an isothermal process, the system is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, while in an adiabatic process, there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings.

4. What is an ideal gas in an isothermal process?

In an isothermal process, an ideal gas behaves in a way that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of the gas are inversely proportional when the temperature is constant. This allows for easy calculations and predictions of the gas's behavior.

5. Can an isothermal process occur spontaneously?

No, an isothermal process cannot occur spontaneously. It requires an external force or work to maintain a constant temperature, as heat transfer would cause a change in temperature and therefore, violate the isothermal condition.

Back