How to Calculate Frictional Force on a Moving Cart?

In summary, a 75 kg cart requires 220N of force to accelerate at a rate of 2.0m/s^2. This is found by subtracting the force needed to overcome friction from the total force required to accelerate the cart.
PsyPhysics7
1. How much frictional force is acting on a 75 kg cart if a push of 220N results in an acceleration of 2.0m/s2?
(hint: how much force would have been required to accelerate the cart at that rate if there were no friction - the extra force is the amount needed to overcome friction)

I honestly have no idea how to solve this, I am in basic high school physics and my teacher's teaching styles don't work for me. Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a go at the problem mentioned in the hint. What force do you require to accelerate a 75 kg cart at a rate of 2.0 m/s^2

first find the force using mass * acceleration
then subtract the difference at easy as that.don't be scared because of your teacher.

Related to How to Calculate Frictional Force on a Moving Cart?

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and move against each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities present on the surfaces and is affected by factors such as the type of surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the smoothness of the surfaces.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a value that represents the roughness of the surfaces) by the normal force (the force pressing the surfaces together).

3. What are the different types of friction?

There are three main types of friction: static friction, which occurs when two surfaces are not yet moving against each other; kinetic friction, which occurs when two surfaces are already in motion against each other; and rolling friction, which occurs when a round object, such as a ball, rolls on a surface.

4. How does the force of friction affect motion?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, meaning it can slow down or stop an object's motion. It can also cause objects to slide or roll in a particular direction, depending on the direction of the force.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a slippery layer between the surfaces and decrease the coefficient of friction. Smooth and polished surfaces also reduce friction as there are fewer irregularities for the surfaces to grip onto.

Back