How to Calculate Heat Dissipation in an Electric Motor?

In summary, an electric motor with a shaft power output of 20 kW and an efficiency of 88 percent will dissipate heat to the room at a rate of 2.72 kW when operating at full load. This is determined by using the method that assumes only inefficiency causes heat. The method used in the solution manual (method 3) is incorrect as it does not take into account the efficiency of the motor. It is reasonable to assume that all mechanical energy is converted to heat in the room, but there are situations where this may not be the case, such as an externally driven exhaust fan. Overall, the textbook used for this problem may have some flaws, but it is still a recommended book for mechanical engineering.
newbphysic
Consider an electric motor with a shaft power output of
20 kW and an efficiency of 88 percent. Determine the rate at
which the motor dissipates heat to the room it is in when the
motor operates at full load. In winter, this room is normally
heated by a 2-kW resistance heater. Determine if it is necessary
to turn the heater on when the motor runs at full load.

My question is how can i find heat dissipate ?

1. Homework Statement

power output = 20 kW
efficiency = 0.88
operates at full load
power input = 20/0.88 = 22.72 kW

The Attempt at a Solution

Method 1 (only inefficiency causes heat) : (1-0.88)* (22.72) = 2.72 kW
Method 2 (inefficiency causes heat & energy from shaft movement cause increase in air kinetic energy which in the end become thermal energy) = power input = 22.72 kW
Method 3 (from solution manual which i don't understand) = (1-0.88) * power output = 0.12 * 20 = 2.4 kW

Which one should i use and why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like any part of this question.

What happens to the mechanical energy is critical to answering the question. Since they don't tell you IMO it is reasonable (usually but not quite always correct)to assume that the mechanical energy is all converted to heat in the room. So I would have answered #2.

Your answer #1 is correct based on its assumption.

Answer #3, from the solution manual, is not correct: The efficiency of any device is output divided by input. To see that their answer is gibberish, consider what the other side of the coin is: they (supposedly) calculated the inefficiency loss. So what's left? The output power. So if (1-.88)*output = loss, then .88*output = ...? Gibberish.

Please tell me this isn't an engineering thermodynamics problem?!

Likes newbphysic
russ_watters said:
I don't like any part of this question.

What happens to the mechanical energy is critical to answering the question. Since they don't tell you IMO it is reasonable (usually but not quite always correct)to assume that the mechanical energy is all converted to heat in the room. So I would have answered #2.

Your answer #1 is correct based on its assumption.

Answer #3, from the solution manual, is not correct: The efficiency of any device is output divided by input. To see that their answer is gibberish, consider what the other side of the coin is: they (supposedly) calculated the inefficiency loss. So what's left? The output power. So if (1-.88)*output = loss, then .88*output = ...? Gibberish.

Please tell me this isn't an engineering thermodynamics problem?!
thanks russ,
yes it is engineering thermodynamics problem from cengel book, why ?

newbphysic said:
yes it is engineering thermodynamics problem from cengel book, why ?
Poorly written, poorly solved. Very disappointing for an engineering textbook.

russ_watters said:
Since they don't tell you IMO it is reasonable (usually but not quite always correct)to assume that the mechanical energy is all converted to heat in the room.
When i think about this, i think all mechanical work will increase air kinetic energy which will become heat.Can you give me an example (situation) where not all mechanical energy converted to heat ?

Also this maybe a little off topic but can you recommend good textbook for mechanical engineer ?
I searched amazon and found yunus cengel book as a recommended book

newbphysic said:
When i think about this, i think all mechanical work will increase air kinetic energy which will become heat.Can you give me an example (situation) where not all mechanical energy converted to heat ?
A mine conveyor. Much of the energy goes to lifting material out of the mine, increasing its potential energy.

Also note the phrase "in the room". If the motor does work that is exported from the room (turns a shaft through the wall, for example), the eventual heat doesn't stay in the room. [edit] A better example is an externally driven exhaust fan. Those are very common.
Also this maybe a little off topic but can you recommend good textbook for mechanical engineer ?
I searched amazon and found yunus cengel book as a recommended book
I keep mine at work and will check which it is. That book got good reviews though, so it is possible that's just a bad problem in an otherwise good book.
[Edit]
Heh - I have the same book. 6th edition, 2008. What edition is yours and what is the chapter/problem #?

Last edited:
8th edition, 2-58

Related to How to Calculate Heat Dissipation in an Electric Motor?

1. What is thermodynamic heat dissipation?

Thermodynamic heat dissipation is the process of transferring thermal energy from a hot object to its surrounding environment, resulting in a decrease in the object's temperature.

2. How is thermodynamic heat dissipation related to the laws of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamic heat dissipation is governed by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat will naturally flow from a hotter object to a cooler object until equilibrium is reached. This process is irreversible and results in an increase in entropy.

3. What factors affect the rate of thermodynamic heat dissipation?

The rate of thermodynamic heat dissipation is affected by the temperature difference between the hot object and its surroundings, the surface area of the object, and the type of material the object is made of. Other factors such as air flow and insulation can also play a role.

4. How is thermodynamic heat dissipation used in practical applications?

Thermodynamic heat dissipation is used in various practical applications, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and heat sinks in electronic devices. It is also an important concept in engineering and energy conservation, as it allows for the efficient transfer of thermal energy.

5. Can thermodynamic heat dissipation be reversed?

No, thermodynamic heat dissipation is an irreversible process. While it is possible to transfer heat from a cooler object to a hotter object, this requires the input of external energy and goes against the natural flow of heat dictated by the second law of thermodynamics.